If you’re not familiar with DPD, they’re a one hour radio program usually broadcast on your local public radio station and their job is to help you win your next dinner party with news tidbits, interviews, etiquette questions, and, most importantly, cocktail recipes. They’ve been doing this for awhile, so you can spend some time browsing their recipes for something to make for your next dinner party (and get a little history lesson too!). This post includes a few of my favorite shots I’ve taken for them over the past couple of years.
Well hello readers. It’s that time of year–time for the Saveur Blog Awards! This year they’ve added some new categories but I’m asking for your help with just one: cocktails. Unless of course besides our spiritous content you’re also a big fan of our photography, or our Instagram, or all of it. If you are a fan, and you feel like taking the steps to go to another website and fill in some information to let Saveur know you like us, then please visit their site here.
As always, thanks for reading!
This weekend we’re sending our wine-man-on-the-town Robin Watts to check out the 11th annual LAWine Fest here in Los Angeles to get the lowdown on what’s haute in the wine world. Robin will be posting on our Instagram with his must pours and give you guys a little behind the scenes action. If you’re not in Los Angeles this will be a great way to check out what’s up and coming in the wine world, and if you ARE in Los Angeles: JOIN US!! LAWine fest has a special code for Stir and Strain readers. Using the code FEST2016 on lawinefest.com, tickets can be purchases for the special rate of $45.00, instead of the $90.00 door price. Guys, that’s 50% off!
Here’s a little more info on the event:
- L.A.’s largest and longest-running consumer wine tasting event, LAWineFest aims to make the world of wine fun and accessible for Angelenos. Founded in 2005 by renowned wine personality Dr. Joel M. Fisher, LAWineFest became a family business when daughter Sara Fisher Chapin began running the company in 2012. LAWineFest proudly supports local organizations while serving as the Southland’s signature celebration of wine.
- Participants you will also have the opportunity to get up-close and personal with a wide variety of reasonably-priced artisan boutiques, gourmet foods, wine-related accessories and local lifestyle ‘must have’ products.
- Wineries will be doing online sales and wine-club sign-ups, and non- wine exhibitors will be selling their wares directly at the event.
- Offers a rare opportunity for true wine lovers to taste select small-batch pours from hard-to-find boutique wineries at a small, additional fee. This private area will include 25 winery gems and tickets for this will be limited to 400 people per day to provide a more personal experience for this exclusive tasting.
- Not only does it balance fun, exploration and education, but with a portion of the event’s proceeds, LAWineFest proudly supports The Sunshine Kids for pediatric cancer. You can find more information about the history at LAWineFest
Location: Sunset Bronson Studios, 5901 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90028. The cross streets are Sunset Blvd and N. Bronson Avenue.
Dates and times: Saturday June 25th from 2pm-7pm and Sunday June 26th from 2pm-6pm.
Cost of Admission and Ticketing: Tickets are $90 per day (single, general admission), $120 per day (single, universal admission and includes boutique wine tasting), and $15 (designated drivers—no drinking).
What is included with ticket: General Admission covers tastings, commemorative glass, event program, main stage shows, bottled water and vendor samples.
Website | Ticketing site
Well guys, it’s time we switched things up around here. Today marks the final installment of the Monday Booze News. But don’t fret! We’re just making room for some new adventures and who knows, maybe down the line we’ll bring this back on another day. Until then, here’s a few notable items for you to peruse.
- I told you all about these Cocktail Hour Playing Cards a few weeks back and there’s just two more days to go until the Kickstarter ends. Please go support getting these rad cards made!
- Also, did you know that today is the LAST day to enter to win a Summer Scotch Cocktail Kit from Shaker & Spoon on this site? NO!? Well it is!
- If it kills you to send a text using the standard beer mug emoji, now you have 60 beer related ones to choose from.
- What champagne to drink with your fried chicken this summer because… fancy!
- The only reason you can’t buy Pappy anymore is because millennials bought it all up to impress their friends on Instagram.
- Just how much is a dash? (Answer: there is no answer.)
- One last time you guys: how to be a wine snob.
- Taylor Swift’s favorite cocktail is spiked Diet Coke; that is not a cocktail.
- Kefir! The next new health fad! Let’s put some booze in it!
- And lastly: Go home Wisconsin, you’re drunk.
- There’s a new tiki bible in town. What does Martin Cate have to say?
- There’s a LOT of cocktail conferences now. Starting this June you can go to one EVERY MONTH for a YEAR. Sounds like fun? Maybe...
- In case you need a refresher course, here’s everything you need to know about the Daiquiri.
- Bottled cocktails are here… and some are really not that bad.
- New study proves college students still AWFUL and girls- pour your own drinks please?
- “Sonic seasoning” and how sound can effect the taste of wine.
- Single malts from around the world. Which ones should you be drinking?
- Are you kidding me?? Change it back to “Old Tub” and I’d buy it anytime!
- Negroni Week is coming people! What charity is your local bar donating to?
- And lastly, the story behind 18.21 Bitters and how cancer helped pushed this company to life.
We don’t usually have much in the way of videos around here, but when we spotted these cocktail recipe videos from the London Cocktail Club inspired by the Coolest Bars in Paris, we just had to share. Check out J.J. Goodman’s fluidity behind the bar… if only I could toss a shaker around like that.
So let’s break out those mixing glasses and take a cocktail vacation to Paris!
Corpse Reviver 2 Cocktail
Baton Rouge Cocktail
French 75 Cocktail
Mon Fizz Cocktail
The Parisian Sunset
Do you have #bartenderenvy yet (He makes it look so easy!)? And pistachio cream for cocktails? Yes please! For more of J.J. Goodman’s cocktails and the London Cocktail Club, check out their YouTube page! And if you’ve been inspired to take a trip to Paris (or another magical city) then make sure you’re prepared and bookmark some tips from The Times Insider City Guides.
This post was inspired by the Coolest Bars in Paris article found in The Sunday Times newly launched Travel Insider Site. For more info on sponsored products, affiliate links, and gifted booze, please visit the About page.
- If you’re looking to start a rare spirits collection, here’s some advice on how to make that happen.
- Rosé, Brosé, Frosé… eh…..
- And speaking of frozen cocktails, that’s just one of this season’s drinking trends over on Thrillist.
- But you know what’s not on that list, milk. In the UK, that’s now on trend as an ingredient to make booze.
- If you like to add the booze INTO your milk, here are a few places that do boozy ice cream right.
- Speed, bravado, cash money, sensory overload: just what is going on in the world of bartender competitions?
- Leftover bourbon (I know, weird huh?), use it up in these creative ways!
- Now you’ve used up all your Rye. What bottles to score on the cheap!
- Wine truths explained with pictures!
- And lastly, tiny cocktails: why we should all be drinking them.
- First up, we’ve dusted off our liquor shelves and have a few curated selections from our friends over at Mouth.com. Check it out!
- Mushroom’s the next drink trend? Well, Biancaniello’s been doing it for years...
- London is at the center of the World’s cocktail scene argues… UK cocktail convention.
- A 6 minute shake for a Ramos Gin Fizz? Whoa, you need a machine for that.
- People like looking for, and drinking, the worst shots ever.
- Want to be a Sherry buff? First, toss these myths aside.
- A history of Southern cocktails.. with cute illustrations!
- Eggs poached in beer. From Ansel Adams. Try it.
- The Punch site has been researching some of this country’s beloved, stupid drinking games.
- And lastly, this is pretty genius. And costs less than a silicone mold! Hailstone cocktails...
- The art of the Japanese style whiskey highball. I love the ritual of it all.
- And speaking of, we’ve got a video demonstration of how to do a hard shake and hand carve an ice sphere over on the Stir and Strain facebook page if ya’ll are interested (sorry, scroll down the page a bit).
- Man, I have so many #garnishgoals looking at these Instagram accounts.
- Whiskey is not going anywhere. We’ll always have whiskey. Calm down everyone.
- Just say YES to veggies in your cocktails. There’s a health benefit somewhere in there.
- How am I making my Bloody Mary WRONG if it’s a personal choice as to how I make my Bloody Mary?
- Life after bourbon. Just where do all those barrels go?
- Blanc vermouth. Get it. Drink it. Love it.
- Science tells you why they think you’re binge drinking.
- And lastly, would you guys like to watch a video of a fish drinking a beer? Ok. Here you go. Happy Monday.
- We had a really fun week last week at the WSWA! Check out all their highlights!
- Hey cocktail peeps, let’s try not to take ourselves so seriously, shall we? Or should we? You tell me.
- Citric acid- it’s not just for preservatives anymore! It’s also for cocktails.
- London’s largest gin bar set to open soon. Just look for the sign that says “The Gin Bar”.
- Pappy + overblown media coverage = bunch of criminals trying to make a buck.
- Just what exactly is in Israel’s new popular spirit? My guess… something to do with a Gazelle.
- Imaginary Los Angeles brewery causes a stir online; not really that interesting twitter war.
- How to become a more refined wine snob in 7 easy steps.
- Ladies, here’s some multitasking booze that erases wrinkles and, you know, gets you drunk too.
- And lastly, I don’t know how good this shaker really is, but I DO like watching the videos for it.