the last day to enter the Partida Tequila and Salt Traders Cinco de Mayo giveaway on the site!
- Wallet feeling pinched? Try these bottles under $30.
- Test how much you actually know about gin and then argue about it in the comment section!
- Is it craft? Blue Moon is getting sued.
- These guys ARE craft. Are you craft? Go here.
- Manhattan Cocktail Classic is a no go this year folks.
- How does New York fit all these distillers in there?
- Baffled by Sake? Learn how to order it here.
- Ladies (and guys I guess too): Beer Rinsing. It’s a thing for your hair.
- New trend alert: Root beer is your new mixer.
is the LAST WEEK to vote Stir and Strain for Saveur’s Best Blog awards in the Cocktail category. I’d sure love it if you took a moment to do that!
- St. George Spirits is a pretty rad company.
- If you’re really nuts about Negroni Week, now you can bathe yourself in the stuff.
- Yes, you should go and get the new edition of Imbibe! and here’s an interview to whet your appetite.
- A Mai Tai that pairs well with food. I’ll take 2 please.
- The take away from this article is eat a lot of Polish sausage to prevent a hangover. Oh, and pickles. Lots of pickles too.
- Where is the best whisky right now? Taiwan. It’s in Taiwan.
- This cocktail menu doesn’t sound confusing. It sounds delicious.
- New Orleans is banning smoking in bars. HOLY CRAP.
- Sorbet? Meringue? RUM? CHAMPAGNE?!?!? Drink like you’re on the Titanic.
a giveaway going on right now to win a couple bottle of Small Hand Foods syrups! Enter now!
- I’d have lost my thumb about 30 seconds in to attempting this.
- Carbonated Cocktail Version 2.OMGIWANTTHIS!
- Warm beer. Sports. My gut is telling me to let someone else break this record.
- But drinking alcohol CAN improve your week.
- And here’s a list of THE BEST drinking cities (*as compiled by Thrillist. **Does not reflect author’s own views).
- At this point in the cocktail movement, I don’t consider any ingredient to be “unlikely”. Especially this.
- A bar out in the desert that you need map coordinates in order to reach? Road trip!!
- The answer is yes. If British gin invades the American market, people are going to snatch it up.
- Ben and Jerry’s beer. This also exists now.
week’s science claim: coffee keeps liver cancer caused by drinking at bay.
- We all love infographics. Here’s one on bar lingo and how to sound cool.
- A round up of some of the most popular craft brews for your perusal.
- And if you’d like some more beer knowledge, try this book. I’d buy it for the cover alone.
- DNA used to recreate Leonardo da Vinci’s vineyard (science is way cool).
- Visit Dublin. Bottle your very own Jameson. Plan ticket please...
- Audrey Saunders tells you how to make a Martini like a boss.
- How do you make an incredible cocktail menu? Take some cues from the chef.
- Where to get the best Martini outside of the U.S. (a.k.a. get your plane tickets ready).
- I like the read of the article on why we should pay attention to the anniversary of the Pegu Club and then the comment after the article. Always a struggle.
ongoing insanity that is powdered alcohol. Should it be banned or not folks?
- And then there’s the insanity of those Midwest Bloody Mary Garnishes. Here’s how that whole thing started.
- Need even more reasons why Tiki is big in Los Angeles??
- As Mad Men begins its final season, here’s the dark end result of all that drinking.
- I think I’m about due for a trip down south. To drink.
- American’s can’t spell the liquors they love. Not surprised.
- In 34 years, India still not seeing many women bartenders.
- What do Sommeliers want to drink? These.
- For those of you who need perfection in your lives (when it comes to your drinking), here’s how to drink a perfect Whisky.
- And now that you know how to drink it, it’s going to be cheaper to bring that Scotch home thanks to a tax cut in the UK.
- I don’t consider all of these to be dive bars here in Los Angeles, but I DO recommend drinking at the Cozy. There’s shuffleboard! And cheetos!
And lastly, Saveur Best Blog Award voting is ALL MONTH long! Please consider Stir and Strain if you’ve enjoyed the site!
Interrupting your regularly scheduled Booze News to bring you this:
Regular Booze News will start up again next week. This kinda trumps the rest of the stories I had planned.
I like anything James Bond related… here’s a Bond Martini contest.
- Check out this Portland Tiki home bar. Wowza!
- OH dang. Nutrition labels coming to a bunch of liquor bottles. Do you really want to take a peek?
- I’d like more wine and beer lists to be in comic book form so I know what the hell I’m looking at.
- Can they really age a bourbon in two days that tastes like it took 20 years?
- Get to know your cocktail sweeteners! Personally, I love maple syrup.
- Malted aquavit sounds kinda amazing. Now, if they can get the taste of that salted black licorice into booze I’m all in.
- This beer has got to be insulting to someone...
- And another in the continuing trend of bringing back drinks that most people wish would stay dead.
- Blue books out now for pricing those rare bottles of whiskey you’re hanging on to.
coming and you can’t stop it: the return of Blue Curaçao.
- What beer goes with what cheese? A simplified guide to pairing your brew.
- Leftover beer? Cook up one of these recipes!
- And continuing the beer thread, here’s a visual map of all the popular beers around the world you’ve probably never heard of.
- Ok, one more beer topic. Because this is just stupid and really, why isn’t there more gun control?
- I just love the title of this article. Also, I’m going to keep pretending adding a veg to a cocktail makes it healthy.
- The craft cocktail movement must be real if the Smithsonian says so.
- With just one drink, you can be waaaaaay more attractive.
- I don’t believe any of this “science”, but give me a glass of wine anyways.
- Wait. Seriously? We’re going forward with powdered alcohol?!
man’s search for the perfect Tiki bar (in Los Angeles).
- Why you should tip your server/bartender/etc… even when you don’t have to.
- I feel like, in a few months, someone is going to pop up and say GOTCHA! over all this.
- Taste testing all those beer and food pairings out there experts tell you work.
- The “if I can fight in combat I should be able to drink under 21” argument has surfaced in Washington.
- The real rockstars of bourbon have a couple years on all of us.
- England is making booze with your unwanted fruit.
- Round up of some excellent liqueurs. Easter basket treats anyone?
- Maybe Dan Aykroyd will guest bartend at The Coconut Club if we use his vodka? Ghostbusters tiki drinks?
- I love a good debate. Especially between to cocktail guys I respect. What side are you guys on? #TeamAmarettoSour!
ALSO: nominations for the 2015 Saveur Best Blog awards have opened up. If you’ve enjoyed reading this and looking at all the pretty cocktails I make, please consider Stir & Strain with a nomination! Here’s the link!
- In Los Angeles this week? There’s still a few seats left for this month’s The Coconut Club!
- NYC has Tiki pirates…It’s time for me to visit NYC.
- I didn’t know Iowa even had a wine industry! Way to go on the PR campaign Iowa. Way to go.
- Lots of empty booze bottles hanging about? Put them to good use.
- Here is your sake primer. With illustrations.
- Insane Tiki drinks on fire. Seriously cool.
- Iceland outlawed beer until 1989. No, really.
- Bartending is hard. And not just because your customers suck.
- I’ll stay at any of these places in Napa. The wine is just the icing.
- In Chicago? Have one of these ladies make you a drink.