- Tiki bars are not going anywhere. But you can easily make your own at home too. Here’s how!
- Bourbon. A whole bottle. On your doorstep. Every month.
- Everything you wanted to know about whiskey in this easy to read primer. Plus, lots of great distilleries and recipes!
- Making your own orgeat is riddick easy. Did you know you can use pistachios? We did that.
- Plants! Cocktails! Cocktail terrariums! I must drink here.
- All about scotchy scotch scotch (and it’s a video!).
- So many pickleback recipes, for when you need more than…just one…pickleback.
- Twin Peaks is coming back. Here’s a cocktail to get you excited about that.
- So, pretty much Chicago is going to go in and shake up the NYC cocktail scene.
- And finally, a new cocktail book devoted to DAY DRINKING. YASSSSSS!
- Rosé forties. The basic drink of summer, and also a lifestyle choice.
- And with all that “wine tasting” you’ll be doing this summer, you’ll be pleased to know that it’s actually good for your brain*. (*#alternativesciencefacts)
- I’m not bringing my babies to bars either.
- Craft cocktails ARE all the rage right now…
- OK, so I can bartend in VR but WHO WILL THROW THE BOOZE INTO MY MOUTH?!
- This is old news but I both love the idea of Fernet and Beer and the name here. Beer me up.
- Even Bill Murray couldn’t save the Manhattan Cocktail Classic this year.
- Ain’t nobody getting this rum punch recipe.
- Are you shaking your cocktails correctly? Hint: if it takes more than one person you’re doing it wrong.
- And finally, if you’re going to put “red diaries” and “Clive Owen” in your cocktail movie Campari, and he is not bartending in the nude, I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR MOVIE.
Due to popular demand, and by that I mean the handful of you who have expressed interest in this column, the Monday Booze News has returned on a semi-weekly…monthly… basis. I had struggled to keep this up due to not a lot of interesting booze news going on and had decided to put this column to sleep for awhile, but OH BOY, the news that happened in the meantime! So here you go folks, the booze news you’ve been missing. Starting with…
- Opening your damn wine bottle with a SHOE.
- My dear friend Nathan, who’s becoming quite a who’s who in the LA Cocktail scene here, had a whole article written about him. All the warm feels when your friends are doing awesome!
- Go home Apple Watch, you’re drunk.
- Camper English has been doing some fun things with clear ice balls lately. Check this interview out on Cocktail Chemistry!
- And for those ice balls, check out his Instagram.
- What the real history of May 5th is all about.
- Time Out LA’s Bar Awards of 2017 nominations list is out and boy, you should drink at ALL these places.
- An article on horseshoes that doesn’t involve Kentucky: what are horseshoe shaped bars all about?
- LIQUOR SOAKED FRENCH CHEESE.
- The Garnish Blog has a great list of cocktail blogs for you to check out (and we’re one of them!).
If you’re not familiar with DPD, they’re a one hour radio program usually broadcast on your local public radio station and their job is to help you win your next dinner party with news tidbits, interviews, etiquette questions, and, most importantly, cocktail recipes. They’ve been doing this for awhile, so you can spend some time browsing their recipes for something to make for your next dinner party (and get a little history lesson too!). This post includes a few of my favorite shots I’ve taken for them over the past couple of years.
Well hello readers. It’s that time of year–time for the Saveur Blog Awards! This year they’ve added some new categories but I’m asking for your help with just one: cocktails. Unless of course besides our spiritous content you’re also a big fan of our photography, or our Instagram, or all of it. If you are a fan, and you feel like taking the steps to go to another website and fill in some information to let Saveur know you like us, then please visit their site here.
As always, thanks for reading!
This weekend we’re sending our wine-man-on-the-town Robin Watts to check out the 11th annual LAWine Fest here in Los Angeles to get the lowdown on what’s haute in the wine world. Robin will be posting on our Instagram with his must pours and give you guys a little behind the scenes action. If you’re not in Los Angeles this will be a great way to check out what’s up and coming in the wine world, and if you ARE in Los Angeles: JOIN US!! LAWine fest has a special code for Stir and Strain readers. Using the code FEST2016 on lawinefest.com, tickets can be purchases for the special rate of $45.00, instead of the $90.00 door price. Guys, that’s 50% off!
Here’s a little more info on the event:
- L.A.’s largest and longest-running consumer wine tasting event, LAWineFest aims to make the world of wine fun and accessible for Angelenos. Founded in 2005 by renowned wine personality Dr. Joel M. Fisher, LAWineFest became a family business when daughter Sara Fisher Chapin began running the company in 2012. LAWineFest proudly supports local organizations while serving as the Southland’s signature celebration of wine.
- Participants you will also have the opportunity to get up-close and personal with a wide variety of reasonably-priced artisan boutiques, gourmet foods, wine-related accessories and local lifestyle ‘must have’ products.
- Wineries will be doing online sales and wine-club sign-ups, and non- wine exhibitors will be selling their wares directly at the event.
- Offers a rare opportunity for true wine lovers to taste select small-batch pours from hard-to-find boutique wineries at a small, additional fee. This private area will include 25 winery gems and tickets for this will be limited to 400 people per day to provide a more personal experience for this exclusive tasting.
- Not only does it balance fun, exploration and education, but with a portion of the event’s proceeds, LAWineFest proudly supports The Sunshine Kids for pediatric cancer. You can find more information about the history at LAWineFest
Location: Sunset Bronson Studios, 5901 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90028. The cross streets are Sunset Blvd and N. Bronson Avenue.
Dates and times: Saturday June 25th from 2pm-7pm and Sunday June 26th from 2pm-6pm.
Cost of Admission and Ticketing: Tickets are $90 per day (single, general admission), $120 per day (single, universal admission and includes boutique wine tasting), and $15 (designated drivers—no drinking).
What is included with ticket: General Admission covers tastings, commemorative glass, event program, main stage shows, bottled water and vendor samples.
Website | Ticketing site
Well guys, it’s time we switched things up around here. Today marks the final installment of the Monday Booze News. But don’t fret! We’re just making room for some new adventures and who knows, maybe down the line we’ll bring this back on another day. Until then, here’s a few notable items for you to peruse.
- I told you all about these Cocktail Hour Playing Cards a few weeks back and there’s just two more days to go until the Kickstarter ends. Please go support getting these rad cards made!
- Also, did you know that today is the LAST day to enter to win a Summer Scotch Cocktail Kit from Shaker & Spoon on this site? NO!? Well it is!
- If it kills you to send a text using the standard beer mug emoji, now you have 60 beer related ones to choose from.
- What champagne to drink with your fried chicken this summer because… fancy!
- The only reason you can’t buy Pappy anymore is because millennials bought it all up to impress their friends on Instagram.
- Just how much is a dash? (Answer: there is no answer.)
- One last time you guys: how to be a wine snob.
- Taylor Swift’s favorite cocktail is spiked Diet Coke; that is not a cocktail.
- Kefir! The next new health fad! Let’s put some booze in it!
- And lastly: Go home Wisconsin, you’re drunk.
- There’s a new tiki bible in town. What does Martin Cate have to say?
- There’s a LOT of cocktail conferences now. Starting this June you can go to one EVERY MONTH for a YEAR. Sounds like fun? Maybe...
- In case you need a refresher course, here’s everything you need to know about the Daiquiri.
- Bottled cocktails are here… and some are really not that bad.
- New study proves college students still AWFUL and girls- pour your own drinks please?
- “Sonic seasoning” and how sound can effect the taste of wine.
- Single malts from around the world. Which ones should you be drinking?
- Are you kidding me?? Change it back to “Old Tub” and I’d buy it anytime!
- Negroni Week is coming people! What charity is your local bar donating to?
- And lastly, the story behind 18.21 Bitters and how cancer helped pushed this company to life.
We don’t usually have much in the way of videos around here, but when we spotted these cocktail recipe videos from the London Cocktail Club inspired by the Coolest Bars in Paris, we just had to share. Check out J.J. Goodman’s fluidity behind the bar… if only I could toss a shaker around like that.
So let’s break out those mixing glasses and take a cocktail vacation to Paris!
Corpse Reviver 2 Cocktail
Baton Rouge Cocktail
French 75 Cocktail
Mon Fizz Cocktail
The Parisian Sunset
Do you have #bartenderenvy yet (He makes it look so easy!)? And pistachio cream for cocktails? Yes please! For more of J.J. Goodman’s cocktails and the London Cocktail Club, check out their YouTube page! And if you’ve been inspired to take a trip to Paris (or another magical city) then make sure you’re prepared and bookmark some tips from The Times Insider City Guides.
This post was inspired by the Coolest Bars in Paris article found in The Sunday Times newly launched Travel Insider Site. For more info on sponsored products, affiliate links, and gifted booze, please visit the About page.
- If you’re looking to start a rare spirits collection, here’s some advice on how to make that happen.
- Rosé, Brosé, Frosé… eh…..
- And speaking of frozen cocktails, that’s just one of this season’s drinking trends over on Thrillist.
- But you know what’s not on that list, milk. In the UK, that’s now on trend as an ingredient to make booze.
- If you like to add the booze INTO your milk, here are a few places that do boozy ice cream right.
- Speed, bravado, cash money, sensory overload: just what is going on in the world of bartender competitions?
- Leftover bourbon (I know, weird huh?), use it up in these creative ways!
- Now you’ve used up all your Rye. What bottles to score on the cheap!
- Wine truths explained with pictures!
- And lastly, tiny cocktails: why we should all be drinking them.