- First, a little history via James Bond. Because bitters were his first love.
- And for even more history on the drink, check out the book by Gary Regan!
- Not sure what bars in your neighborhood are participating this year? Check out this bar finder and see what charity your bar is supporting.
- Pins are so hot right now. And you can have your very own Negroni version to rock out with this week.
- Negroni lollipops. They’re a thing you should eat.
- And speaking of eating, if you’re in Los Angeles this week, check out Break Room 86 and enjoy a Negroni Ice Cream sandwich. Because… ice cream (and because we’ll be stopping in Wednesday night for a special cocktail surprise. Watch for details on Instagram!).
- Did you check out our Negroni Week post? We got all the details on what it is, AND THREE NEW COCKTAILS for you to enjoy.
- You can also eyeball our other Negroni riffs from years past. Coconut. Coffee. Go get ’em.
- Accessorize your ensemble this week with a Negroni bandana and $2 of each sale will benefit the San Francisco Marin food bank!
- And lastly, we’ll be out and about all week supporting our favorite bars and charities. Stop on by our Instagram and say hi and let us know where you’re going!
Your Instagram feed might be turning from #millennialpink to a cheery garnet red next week as we embark on the FIFTH year of Negroni Week!
If you’re not familiar with this wonderful time of year, or have only heard of it in passing, let me loop you guys in. From June 5 through 11 this year, bars, restaurants and vendors from around the world celebrate the Negroni cocktail – an iconic mix of Campari, gin, and sweet red vermouth – to raise money and awareness for great causes. What started as just 100 bars in the US, has now grown into an International event and this year will be bigger than ever.
For more information on Negroni Week, and for a list of bars participating, visit negroniweek.com and follow @CampariUS and @Imbibe on Facebook, @CampariUSA and @Imbibe on Instagram, @Campari and @Imbibe on Twitter, and engaging with the #NegroniWeek hashtag.
- Forget 6 packs of beer, there’s 6 packs of CHAMPAGNE now!
- If your cocktail isn’t served in an oversized light bulb… why even bother?
- Trash tiki. Learn it. Love it. Live it.
- Allspice dram, a flavor for all seasons.
- Not all bubbles are the same. Get to know the differences between seltzer and club soda. You guys already know why tonic water is different…right?
- Make the effort to buy good, cheap wine and not cheap, bad wine.
- Want to know what cocktails you should be Instagramming this summer? These cocktails. Right here.
- Drink Rogue beer, send a kid to school. Yay beer!
- Apparently there are rules for drinking mezcal…one of which includes worms.
- And finally, Negroni Week is starting June 5th and we’ll be sharing a bunch of Negroni adventures here and on our Instagram. Follow along!
- Tiki bars are not going anywhere. But you can easily make your own at home too. Here’s how!
- Bourbon. A whole bottle. On your doorstep. Every month.
- Everything you wanted to know about whiskey in this easy to read primer. Plus, lots of great distilleries and recipes!
- Making your own orgeat is riddick easy. Did you know you can use pistachios? We did that.
- Plants! Cocktails! Cocktail terrariums! I must drink here.
- All about scotchy scotch scotch (and it’s a video!).
- So many pickleback recipes, for when you need more than…just one…pickleback.
- Twin Peaks is coming back. Here’s a cocktail to get you excited about that.
- So, pretty much Chicago is going to go in and shake up the NYC cocktail scene.
- And finally, a new cocktail book devoted to DAY DRINKING. YASSSSSS!
- Rosé forties. The basic drink of summer, and also a lifestyle choice.
- And with all that “wine tasting” you’ll be doing this summer, you’ll be pleased to know that it’s actually good for your brain*. (*#alternativesciencefacts)
- I’m not bringing my babies to bars either.
- Craft cocktails ARE all the rage right now…
- OK, so I can bartend in VR but WHO WILL THROW THE BOOZE INTO MY MOUTH?!
- This is old news but I both love the idea of Fernet and Beer and the name here. Beer me up.
- Even Bill Murray couldn’t save the Manhattan Cocktail Classic this year.
- Ain’t nobody getting this rum punch recipe.
- Are you shaking your cocktails correctly? Hint: if it takes more than one person you’re doing it wrong.
- And finally, if you’re going to put “red diaries” and “Clive Owen” in your cocktail movie Campari, and he is not bartending in the nude, I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR MOVIE.
- Opening your damn wine bottle with a SHOE.
- My dear friend Nathan, who’s becoming quite a who’s who in the LA Cocktail scene here, had a whole article written about him. All the warm feels when your friends are doing awesome!
- Go home Apple Watch, you’re drunk.
- Camper English has been doing some fun things with clear ice balls lately. Check this interview out on Cocktail Chemistry!
- And for those ice balls, check out his Instagram.
- What the real history of May 5th is all about.
- Time Out LA’s Bar Awards of 2017 nominations list is out and boy, you should drink at ALL these places.
- An article on horseshoes that doesn’t involve Kentucky: what are horseshoe shaped bars all about?
- LIQUOR SOAKED FRENCH CHEESE.
- The Garnish Blog has a great list of cocktail blogs for you to check out (and we’re one of them!).
If you’re not familiar with DPD, they’re a one hour radio program usually broadcast on your local public radio station and their job is to help you win your next dinner party with news tidbits, interviews, etiquette questions, and, most importantly, cocktail recipes. They’ve been doing this for awhile, so you can spend some time browsing their recipes for something to make for your next dinner party (and get a little history lesson too!). This post includes a few of my favorite shots I’ve taken for them over the past couple of years.
As always, thanks for reading!
Here’s a little more info on the event:
- L.A.’s largest and longest-running consumer wine tasting event, LAWineFest aims to make the world of wine fun and accessible for Angelenos. Founded in 2005 by renowned wine personality Dr. Joel M. Fisher, LAWineFest became a family business when daughter Sara Fisher Chapin began running the company in 2012. LAWineFest proudly supports local organizations while serving as the Southland’s signature celebration of wine.
- Participants you will also have the opportunity to get up-close and personal with a wide variety of reasonably-priced artisan boutiques, gourmet foods, wine-related accessories and local lifestyle ‘must have’ products.
- Wineries will be doing online sales and wine-club sign-ups, and non- wine exhibitors will be selling their wares directly at the event.
- Offers a rare opportunity for true wine lovers to taste select small-batch pours from hard-to-find boutique wineries at a small, additional fee. This private area will include 25 winery gems and tickets for this will be limited to 400 people per day to provide a more personal experience for this exclusive tasting.
- Not only does it balance fun, exploration and education, but with a portion of the event’s proceeds, LAWineFest proudly supports The Sunshine Kids for pediatric cancer. You can find more information about the history at LAWineFest
Location: Sunset Bronson Studios, 5901 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90028. The cross streets are Sunset Blvd and N. Bronson Avenue.
Dates and times: Saturday June 25th from 2pm-7pm and Sunday June 26th from 2pm-6pm.
Cost of Admission and Ticketing: Tickets are $90 per day (single, general admission), $120 per day (single, universal admission and includes boutique wine tasting), and $15 (designated drivers—no drinking).
What is included with ticket: General Admission covers tastings, commemorative glass, event program, main stage shows, bottled water and vendor samples.
Website | Ticketing site
- I told you all about these Cocktail Hour Playing Cards a few weeks back and there’s just two more days to go until the Kickstarter ends. Please go support getting these rad cards made!
- Also, did you know that today is the LAST day to enter to win a Summer Scotch Cocktail Kit from Shaker & Spoon on this site? NO!? Well it is!
- If it kills you to send a text using the standard beer mug emoji, now you have 60 beer related ones to choose from.
- What champagne to drink with your fried chicken this summer because… fancy!
- The only reason you can’t buy Pappy anymore is because millennials bought it all up to impress their friends on Instagram.
- Just how much is a dash? (Answer: there is no answer.)
- One last time you guys: how to be a wine snob.
- Taylor Swift’s favorite cocktail is spiked Diet Coke; that is not a cocktail.
- Kefir! The next new health fad! Let’s put some booze in it!
- And lastly: Go home Wisconsin, you’re drunk.