- The BEST Tiki bars in America (according to the Food Network)...
- These wines will CHANGE YOUR LIFE or something. Probably put a big ol’ dent in your wallet too.
- Can sulfites in wine KILL YOU???!!! Or do they just make wine taste better?
- Harvard & Stone is going to be the BEST BAR IN AMERICA. Here’s why.
- Boston has DRINKS ON FIRE!!!
- Canada! You’re getting BOOZY STARBUCKS!!!
- The WEIRDEST LIQUORS IN THIS GUY’S LIQUOR CABINET are really not that weird. Is this an early April Fool’s joke?
- These drinks will CURE YOUR JET LAG! (but none of them are booze, so….).
- Spanish wine is THE MOST POPULAR WINE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD says NBC News...
- And finally, if you want a FREE TRIP TO SPAIN you need to enter a cocktail in this Tarantas Wine contest...
This month I’ve been trying all the cocktails and eating all the foods so you only have to try the best.
If you’re planning a trip to Los Angeles this year and want a few recommendations as to where to drink (or eat), leave us a comment below or send an email (or social media, or WHATEVER way works for you).
Here’s our highlights from March.
And here’s a few behind the scenes snaps!
- Know someone with talent in the bar industry? Nominate them for a Spirited Award!
- The deadline for the Tarantas Wine Cocktail contest is ending soon! I want to taste your cocktails!
- Are you using the right cocktail glass for your drinks? This video explains what to use when and why.
- Did you celebrate International Whisky Day yesterday? Do you know the history behind it?
- The future of US wine making is where?! And did you know EVERY STATE IN THE US makes wine? I did not.
- Flair bartending grew up, it never went away.
- Even urban dwellers get to have wineries now. Here are a few of the best.
- A beer truck and a Frito Lay truck collide. Florida got lucky this time.
- Jäger cocktails I’d actually want to drink!
- And finally, hollow chocolate Easter bunnies and gross and not worth the calories. If you have some laying around from yesterday, fill them with whiskey.
- Craft a wine-based cocktail with Tarantas Wine, win a trip to Spain. IT’S THAT SIMPLE.
- What to drink where for the month of March (That Bunny Hill Cocktail is A++).
- I’m not sure if this is a strong enough case for this coconut rum. You decide.
- When I think of beer cocktails, I think of this guy. Jacob Grier makes a Mai Ta-IPA.
- Venice: where to get your Spritz on. And on. And on. And on.
- A guide to completing the Tonga Hut’s Grog Log. I might not agree with all their hits and misses on the drinks list, but this is a seriously detailed list if you’re thinking about trying.
- And speaking of Tiki, remember when I used to do the Coconut Club? Those guys are still at it! Check out the pics.
- Vermouth. It’s delicious. Try it in something other than your martini (or, OK, have it in your martini too)!
- I totally get it. Mom asks for a wine budget in her divorce case.
- And lastly, Hey Ladies! Los Angeles is getting its own whiskey club. For women. I’ve joined! Join us!
- Going “Full Pirate” and other trends via Cocktail tastemakers for 2016.
- Sugar-Free wine might not be as stupid as it sounds after all.
- The Most Interesting Man in the World (in beer commercials) is retiring. A few of the best phrases from that campaign.
- Cocktail tasting menus. It’s a thing, and I love it (but I don’t love calling bars “secret” that ARE NOT SECRET WHEN WE ALL KNOW WHERE THE BAR IS).
- Marissa A. Ross tells us why we all should be drinking port right now.
- It’s like latte art, but with cocktails. And SO MUCH BETTER.
- Creating the “perfect” cocktail (with your phone)?? I don’t think you could make an Espresso Martini perfect.
- All the green drinks (and some don’t even have alcohol!).
- Thanks to Buzzfeed for including Stir and Strain in their 19 Cocktail Instagram accounts to follow!
- And lastly, how to celebrate 18 hours of St. Patrick’s Day. Good luck guys!
- It’s time to up your cocktails garnishes…with LIGHTS!!!
- Talking music and a few surprising details about the brand with FEW Spirits founder Paul Hletko.
- I’m into eating my champagne lately…. in MARSHMALLOWS!
- Trying to fine tune your beer and food pairings? Here’s a good list of resources to help you along with that task.
- And speaking of pairings, here’s what wine to drink when you’re smoking a little weed.
- “The Negroni is to this decade what the cosmopolitan was to the ’90s…” SERIOUSLY. Love one and now so does everyone else.
- How to fake being a wine snob: legs are BULLSH*T! And if it smells like vinegar it’s not good.
- A new science study funded by wine growers shows that drinking lots of wine makes you immortal. Or so says science.
- NYC, it’s almost going to be like New Orleans. Almost.
- And lastly, serious question, with St. Patrick’s Day closing in on us, which Irish-themed cocktail fits your personality. Take a quiz to find out!
It may not feel like Spring where you are, but here in Los Angeles many of us are scratching our heads asking where is this wet, cold weather we were all told was coming. But in just a few weeks it will be Spring, so everyone’s new cocktail menus are going to start rolling out around town. (In fact, they’ve already started and you can peep a few like these above ^^^) Keep your eyes tuned to the Stir and Strain Instagram and Snapchat for the next few weeks as we test drive some menus here (and beyond!).
- So which Breakfast Club Cocktail archetype are you? (I think I’m having an identity crisis and I’m all of them).
- Hey cocktail ladies! You can drink beer too! Try these.
- Intelligentsia, among other coffee companies, is now jumping into the brewing world. I quite interested to see where this trend is headed.
- And then there’s THIS beer trend for you gym rats out there.
- Want some booze that packs a PUNCH? Check out these super boozy… boozes.
- Love rum, but not Tiki bars? (Don’t worry, I’m not judging you) Here’s a few spots that do rum right and almost nary a Tiki in sight.
- Leftover wine? Stick it in the freezer!
- If you still got some Oscar fever leftover from yesterday, here’s a cocktail with a bit of Hollywood storytelling alongside it.
- And an equally black tie cocktail (and SNACK!!) over at Dine X Design.
- Lastly, the Cocktail Chemistry YouTube channels does it again making this smoked cocktail super easy to replicate in your home (the future is video and video is NOW).
ON Sunday! We got something extra nice tomorrow so check back in. But until then, here’s this week’s boozy news…
- Hey, remember when I told you how to make to put a cocktail inside an ice sphere? Now you can SEE how to actually do it.
- So just where did that tiny umbrella in your drink come from? Maybe here?
- Apparently my combination of drinking liquor, red wine and now coffee insures that I WILL NEVER DIE.
- Come to Sunny Southern California. Drink beer. Go to college and study about beer. Beer beer beer.
- Well, if you’ve ever wanted to prance through a fountain filled with beer, you just need to travel to Slovenia.
- That one time Sasha Petraske rode the Orient Express.
- A good long-form read on the history of African-American bartenders by David Wondrich.
- Are you doing a bad job at muddling your cocktails? Here’s a few tips to correct your mistakes.
- If you want to tick-off a wine snob apparently talk about how much you love Sauvignon Blanc.
- And lastly, I’m judging a wine cocktail contest with Tarantas Wines. If you ever wanted to know what I think of your drinks…enter now.
- Curious what you all think: when is a tiki bar NOT a tiki bar….?
- Where did all your old cassette tapes go? They probably live at this Denver bar.
- This week’s science claim is one for the anti-vaxers: drink booze and no need for those vaccines!
- This man knows rum (he privately owns over 1000 bottles) and wants to talk to you about it.
- OH, and speaking of rum… IT’S THE NEXT BIG THING for 2016. Rum Old Fashioneds? YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
- Beer: it’s not just for drinking, it’s also for cooking (with).
- Need some new cocktail ideas for that bottle of Campari? Check out these drinks.
- We’re all just looking for a hangover cure. Here’s some with pictures!
- But can you even SAY Batavia Arrack correctly?
- And lastly, if you find yourself in the Palm Springs area over the next week, there are a ton of fun cocktail events going down at Modernism Week. Find me there.