- The art of the Japanese style whiskey highball. I love the ritual of it all.
- And speaking of, we’ve got a video demonstration of how to do a hard shake and hand carve an ice sphere over on the Stir and Strain facebook page if ya’ll are interested (sorry, scroll down the page a bit).
- Man, I have so many #garnishgoals looking at these Instagram accounts.
- Whiskey is not going anywhere. We’ll always have whiskey. Calm down everyone.
- Just say YES to veggies in your cocktails. There’s a health benefit somewhere in there.
- How am I making my Bloody Mary WRONG if it’s a personal choice as to how I make my Bloody Mary?
- Life after bourbon. Just where do all those barrels go?
- Blanc vermouth. Get it. Drink it. Love it.
- Science tells you why they think you’re binge drinking.
- And lastly, would you guys like to watch a video of a fish drinking a beer? Ok. Here you go. Happy Monday.
- We had a really fun week last week at the WSWA! Check out all their highlights!
- Hey cocktail peeps, let’s try not to take ourselves so seriously, shall we? Or should we? You tell me.
- Citric acid- it’s not just for preservatives anymore! It’s also for cocktails.
- London’s largest gin bar set to open soon. Just look for the sign that says “The Gin Bar”.
- Pappy + overblown media coverage = bunch of criminals trying to make a buck.
- Just what exactly is in Israel’s new popular spirit? My guess… something to do with a Gazelle.
- Imaginary Los Angeles brewery causes a stir online; not really that interesting twitter war.
- How to become a more refined wine snob in 7 easy steps.
- Ladies, here’s some multitasking booze that erases wrinkles and, you know, gets you drunk too.
- And lastly, I don’t know how good this shaker really is, but I DO like watching the videos for it.
- Join Stir and Strain LIVE today through Thursday as we make our way through the WSWA (Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America Convention) in lovely Las Vegas!
- The Ultimate Spirits Challenge winners have been announced and there’s a lot of my favs on the list!
- OH England and your crazy potato chip concoctions. Sure, I’d like a bag of Guinness flavored crisps!
- Love whiskey? Then only YOU can understand this list (probably. not really).
- I appreciate this honest conversation about the current state of beer in the US. It makes me want to go and drink some.
- And speaking of beer, one should try this IPA-inspired ice cream. Seriously.
- This is a great write up of tips on how to handle a cocktail competition.
- In Los Angeles, we tend to Spritz all day long.
- Blue drinks never went away for me. And look at what they’re doing with them now!
- And lastly, they’re putting Sriracha in your beer now, and other weird crap.
and Strain is attending the Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America convention April 18-21! Follow along on ALL the social media channels to see sneak peeks at what’s new and upcoming in the spirits industry and quite possibly a celebrity sighting or two!
- Galentine’s Day. Brosè. Why we are still seeing gender campaigns in our booze today.
- “Pilsners before absinthe, get stuck in a labyrinth.” And other drinking warnings...
- I’m always excited for a new TIKI anything… but a HOTEL? YES!!
- These cocktail trends might not be new to you, but it’s interesting to see Vogue magazine embrace Sherry.
- What do bartenders think is the best thing to drink with oysters? (Sake, and pretty much whatever you want).
- This little snippet has been going around about how people look after each glass of wine they drink but frankly no one’s face is red enough by glass four so I think it’s all a lie.
- Spring beer trends! Wasn’t Gose (pronounced “go-zuh”) in Ghostbusters?
- Important things to consider when drinking on a diet. First, why are you on this website?
- And lastly, if you’re headed to Coachella this year, here’s a list of places to get a good (decent) drink in the area. But remember folks, Palm Springs is like, 25-40 minutes north from the festival...
1.5 oz Bluecoat Barrel Finish gin
0.25 oz Montenegro Amaro
0.75 oz Honey Syrup
0.25 oz Lemon juice
1.25 oz Smoked Pineapple juice
Bar spoon of Greek Yogurt
Okay, guys, thanks for reading through! Again, the WSWA convention is THE launch pad for the cocktail products you’ll see everywhere in the coming year. Join us LIVE from Vegas April 18-21 and make sure to ping me with questions and what you want to see!
**All photos courtesy of the WSWA convention.
BEST Tiki bars in America (according to the Food Network)...
- These wines will CHANGE YOUR LIFE or something. Probably put a big ol’ dent in your wallet too.
- Can sulfites in wine KILL YOU???!!! Or do they just make wine taste better?
- Harvard & Stone is going to be the BEST BAR IN AMERICA. Here’s why.
- Boston has DRINKS ON FIRE!!!
- Canada! You’re getting BOOZY STARBUCKS!!!
- The WEIRDEST LIQUORS IN THIS GUY’S LIQUOR CABINET are really not that weird. Is this an early April Fool’s joke?
- These drinks will CURE YOUR JET LAG! (but none of them are booze, so….).
- Spanish wine is THE MOST POPULAR WINE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD says NBC News...
- And finally, if you want a FREE TRIP TO SPAIN you need to enter a cocktail in this Tarantas Wine contest...
If you’re planning a trip to Los Angeles this year and want a few recommendations as to where to drink (or eat), leave us a comment below or send an email (or social media, or WHATEVER way works for you).
Here’s our highlights from March.
And here’s a few behind the scenes snaps!
someone with talent in the bar industry? Nominate them for a Spirited Award!
- The deadline for the Tarantas Wine Cocktail contest is ending soon! I want to taste your cocktails!
- Are you using the right cocktail glass for your drinks? This video explains what to use when and why.
- Did you celebrate International Whisky Day yesterday? Do you know the history behind it?
- The future of US wine making is where?! And did you know EVERY STATE IN THE US makes wine? I did not.
- Flair bartending grew up, it never went away.
- Even urban dwellers get to have wineries now. Here are a few of the best.
- A beer truck and a Frito Lay truck collide. Florida got lucky this time.
- Jäger cocktails I’d actually want to drink!
- And finally, hollow chocolate Easter bunnies and gross and not worth the calories. If you have some laying around from yesterday, fill them with whiskey.
a wine-based cocktail with Tarantas Wine, win a trip to Spain. IT’S THAT SIMPLE.
- What to drink where for the month of March (That Bunny Hill Cocktail is A++).
- I’m not sure if this is a strong enough case for this coconut rum. You decide.
- When I think of beer cocktails, I think of this guy. Jacob Grier makes a Mai Ta-IPA.
- Venice: where to get your Spritz on. And on. And on. And on.
- A guide to completing the Tonga Hut’s Grog Log. I might not agree with all their hits and misses on the drinks list, but this is a seriously detailed list if you’re thinking about trying.
- And speaking of Tiki, remember when I used to do the Coconut Club? Those guys are still at it! Check out the pics.
- Vermouth. It’s delicious. Try it in something other than your martini (or, OK, have it in your martini too)!
- I totally get it. Mom asks for a wine budget in her divorce case.
- And lastly, Hey Ladies! Los Angeles is getting its own whiskey club. For women. I’ve joined! Join us!
“Full Pirate” and other trends via Cocktail tastemakers for 2016.
- Sugar-Free wine might not be as stupid as it sounds after all.
- The Most Interesting Man in the World (in beer commercials) is retiring. A few of the best phrases from that campaign.
- Cocktail tasting menus. It’s a thing, and I love it (but I don’t love calling bars “secret” that ARE NOT SECRET WHEN WE ALL KNOW WHERE THE BAR IS).
- Marissa A. Ross tells us why we all should be drinking port right now.
- It’s like latte art, but with cocktails. And SO MUCH BETTER.
- Creating the “perfect” cocktail (with your phone)?? I don’t think you could make an Espresso Martini perfect.
- All the green drinks (and some don’t even have alcohol!).
- Thanks to Buzzfeed for including Stir and Strain in their 19 Cocktail Instagram accounts to follow!
- And lastly, how to celebrate 18 hours of St. Patrick’s Day. Good luck guys!