- First, I wrote a twitter thought thread about the difference between makers and influencers and it’s included here because I write about cocktails.
- Tales of the Cocktail happened and you can read about all the fun other people had in that muggy, jungle heat.
- Getting lignin with it: the complicated science of aging spirits.
- Extra sugar, extra salt. Extra oil and msg: umami in cocktails.
- Time to get ambitious with your cocktail party: build a champagne tower.
- Drones are the new workers in vineyards today. And so much more.
- Don’t get dehydrated when you’re out drinking! Play this number game!
- You can thank an early 20th century woman for the cocktail party of today.
- The inevitable: 4:20 cocktail menus begin in California if that’s your thang.
- And lastly, it’s National Tequila Day today and we’ve got PLENTY of tequila recipes for you to choose from.
- This Wednesday is the last day to nominate your favorite blogs for the Saveur Best Blog Awards. If you’re into us, please consider putting in a nice word.
- The good news: retail boozy ice cream. The bad news: you need to travel to Canada to get it.
- Need wine on the cheap? Here’s a few bottles under $15 to try.
- Are award shows ruining bars? (Not blogs. Awards are not ruining blogs. Please see above.)
- Who knows what booze you’ll find in the walls of New Jersey historical properties??
- Curious about Japanese whisky? Try these bottles!
- Road tripping this summer? Find each state’s favorite beers here!
- Underwood gave us the canned wine. And now… wine coolers? I’ll take one!
- Break out the blender, here’s 11 frozen cocktails to make this summer.
- And finally, a reminder to drink your daily shot of whiskey if you want to live to 100.
Yesterday on Instagram a gave a little hint as to what I’ve been working on lately… THE FUTURE OF COCKTAILS is alternative milks?!
Well, in the short-term it is for me anyways.
A few months back I had to cut out dairy, soy, eggs, red meat and shellfish for medical reasons. Not for some crazy diet! It doesn’t cut into the cocktail making that much, but there are a few drinks that I’ve had to shelve because of these restrictions. Eggs are an easy one to cut out since I’ve covered so many alternatives for them on the site. Dairy though can get tricky, it imparts a particular taste and mouthfeel that can be hard to replicate. With that in mind, there’s just going to be some drinks I can’t have right now. But this also opens up a new door of twists I can make instead.
Today’s drink is a pretty basic recipe riff on a White Russian. Except… with homemade toasted coconut milk. WHAAAAA?!
Sure, you could add coconut cream or regular coconut milk in here, but the toasty quality of this is OH SO delicious and really stands out in the drink when you put it up against the coffee. I got the idea a few months back when I saw Heidi from 101 Cookbooks make this and for whatever reason I immediately thought about subbing it for cream in a White Russian. Fast forward to now and it is so worth the extra steps to make the toasted coconut milk. And it makes enough so you can add it into your coffee all week and maybe eat some cereal with it too.
Now, this coconut milk behaves differently than cream would; it’s not thick and it’s not going to significantly lighten the color of your cocktail. That also means it’s going to give a lighter feel in your mouth and not coat your tongue like cream does. Maybe for some of you this is a plus. That said, it’s definitely worth trying out if you’re looking for an alternative to dairy or just looking to try something new!
The Toasty Russian
2 ounces vodka
1 ounce coffee liqueur, St. George Spirits NOLA Coffee Liqueur used here
3/4 to 1 ounce toasted coconut milk (recipe follows)
toasted coconut flakes for garnish, optional
In a rocks glass, build your drink by pouring vodka, coffee liqueur, and toasted coconut milk over ice. Stir to combine. Garnish with some toasted coconut flakes if you’re feeling fancy.
Toasted Coconut Milk
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Toast your coconut on a sheet pan for approximately 10 minutes, stirring half-way through. Set aside to cool.
- Once coconut is cooled, combine toasted coconut and water. Let sit for 3 hours.
- Pour into a blender and add salt and maple syrup. Blend for 30 second to combine.
- Pour mixture into a nut bag placed over a bowl to strain out solids. You may need to skim the top after straining.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- First, Saveur has opened up nominations for their Best Blog awards and I’m hoping you all can help me get nominated for the FOURTH year in a row… so I can lose again. I’m calling this my Always the Bridesmaid Never the Saveur Bride campaign.
- Second, I’ve had many of you ask about these cocktail picks I’ve posted on Instagram so here you go!
Ok, now onto some news…
- Looking for some summery ways to get your bourbon on? Try these cocktails.
- If you plan on cracking open some beers, you might want to pass on these.
- However, you DO NOT want to pass on these dressed up canned cocktails. I’m very into this trend right now.
- If insanity is an ingredient in your cocktail, try these candy drinks.
- Flavored malt beverages are apparently what everyone wants to drink this summer. Zima anyone?
- What rums to drink, via Three Dots and a Dash in Chicago.
- Are you having a Spritz or a Spritzer this summer? Make sure you know the difference.
- And finally, this week’s rosé news: you can wear it on your face!
And then George Washington took out his Margarita machine and said, “Let there be frozen drinks!”. Happy 4th folks!
- Yeah! What IS the deal with cocktails made into spheres?! Oh wait, it’s because they’re AWESOME.
- You need crushed ice this summer? Here’s the best way to make it.
- And here’s this week’s story about Rosé: the history of Rosé.
- NEGRONI DOUGHNUTS?! Yes, please, send me a dozen.
- Love your cocktails with a side of pool? Dip into these bars.
- Going on a trip this summer? Here’s some International Bars if you’re not into the whole pool thing.
- Or if you’re looking for a restaurant with an amazing wine selection- here’s the top 5.
- Are you guys for or against plastic straws? I hate the way paper straws feel after 5 minutes in a drink and I’m also afraid I’m going to poke a hole in my mouth with the metal ones.
- What in the what now?? In Utah you now can watch your cocktail being made.
- And finally, WHY HAVE I NEVER PAIRED TONIC WITH THESE SPIRITS?!?! I should have my site taken away from me...
This post is brought to you by Tres Agaves Tequila. Recipes and ideas are my own.
All of my cocktails tend to take on a blue hue this time of year, even if I’m not setting out to make something patriotic. More than anything, I really just love putting blueberries in drinks right now. But what happens when those blueberries are out of season? We’ve got a trick to fix that!
1-1/2 ounces Tres Agaves Blanco Tequila
1 ounce coconut milk (full fat)
3/4 ounce cinnamon syrup (see recipe here)
1/2 ounce lime juice
1/2 cup dehydrated blueberries, lightly crushed (we used Crunchies* here!)
1/4 ounce of Angostura bitters
In a Collins glass, combine Tres Agaves Tequila, coconut milk, cinnamon syrup, and lime juice. Fill glass halfway with crushed ice and swizzle about 20 seconds. Add blueberries and more crushed ice to the glass. Float Angostura on top.
For more information on Tres Agaves Tequila, please visit their site at tresagaves.com.
For more info on sponsored products, affiliate links, and gifted booze, please visit the About page!
- India needs a few distillery cats to stop all the rats from DRINKING THEIR BOOZE.
- Do you have your summer bar bucket list yet? Here’s a few to add to it.
- Hello? I’d like to hire a relaxed Italian dinner party please.
- One- I don’t think this is the most expensive cocktail ever. Two- please don’t put caviar in my cocktail. Like, ever.
- Go ahead, drink red wine all summer long.
- Or just go for a bottle of Rosé. Not just any Rosé though, THESE bottles.
- And then you can WINE. All the time.
- There’s actually been more than one Great Molasses Disaster at a distillery.
- There is now a TIKI COCKTAIL SUBSCRIPTION BOX!
- And finally, Russia- please stop with the supermarket drinking contests. Just, stop already.
- No way frosé! It’s time for frozen Negroni cocktails!
- But, um, yeah, just so we’re clear, I’ve been telling you guys to drink a frozen Negroni for awhile now.
- Get a nice cold can of … Gin & Tonics? You can now. Would you guys drink it?
- Heading out to Palm Springs this summer? (You’re very brave with that heat) Here’s where to drink!
- Did you forget to get Dad a gift? Better late than never.
- You put the coffee in the booze and you drink it all up...
- Grant Achatz. A reason for us to head to NYC for a trip.
- Are you… Amari curious? Here’s a ranking to find the right flavor for you.
- If you are a lazy B, there’s some cocktail videos you should watch.
- And finally, if you’re looking for a great cocktail read, check out these 25 cocktails sites recommended by Crafty Bartending (we’re #4!)!!
Unless that tie rack comes with booze…think again.
For the bookworm Dad: booze books. For the stylish Dad: booze cufflinks. For the junk food Dad: beer and pretzel ice cream. For the outdoorsy Dad: a pocketknife to hand carve a muddler. Oh, and also a plaid flask (duh). For the goofy Dad: bourbon socks. For all the rest of the Dads: whisk(e)y. And you should probably throw in a Negroni finger stirrer because… well, your Dad knows a joke for that too.
1. Call Me Old Fashioned print 2. Coolhaus Beer and Pretzel ice cream 3. Rum Curious 4. The Bloody Mary Book 5. Bourbon socks 6. Cocktail cufflinks 7. Opinel pocket knife 8. Speyburn Single Malt Scotch Whisky 9. Gaz Regan Negroni Finger Stirrer 10. Plaid flask
Catch up on all the gift guides here!