an awesome campaign to record the history of the West Coast Cocktail!
- The oldest Tiki bars in America. I’ve been to 4 out of 5. I think this list is missing a couple though.
- WHO IS BRINGING THEIR OWN BITTERS TO THE BAR? WHO? Miracle Mile Bitters is excused from this.
- Canada…you’re so predictable.
- Whiskey flavored pigs. Seriously guys.
- Everyone should have a house cocktail. What’s yours?
- A great piece that argues both for rusticity and modernity for authenticity in Mexican spirits.
- Weird cocktail names. Monkey gland always sounded strange to me...
- A cocktail bar graph for the modern farmer.
- Plastic beer bag sounds both awful and applicable.
- Father’s Day is less than a week away. Here are the Stir & Strain gift picks!
- Negroni Week starts today. I kicked it off a little early last week.
- How are people not surprised that the unmarked bottle of slushie booze bought through Instagram could potentially kill them?
- Sometimes I find it funny that we need to remind people how to behave in bars. Like this.
- New for the 21st century! Snake oil dealers are now working with ice.
- 8 weird cocktail ingredients (a few of which you’ve seen here before).
- Texas, land of beer, is now the land of salty vodka drinkers.
- World’s most expensive drinks always tend to have a diamond stuck in there somewhere. Here’s a tour of them!
- Here’s 10 things that local venerated L.A. barman Eric Alperin hates (I hate these things too).
- Bottled cocktail: not just a fad.
- Need some day drinking ideas? Try these out.
- And whatever you do, don’t let Mario Batali make you a drink.
have until MIDNIGHT (your time zone) to get your entry in for Mixology Monday!
- Highlights from this year’s Manhattan Cocktail Classic Gala. Bummed I missed it.
- Do you want to be a brand ambassador? Here’s some tips for landing that job.
- The rise of the Bitter in cocktails, with a side of science.
- So basically you’re telling me I need to drink more champagne? OK, I can do that.
- Flavor infused ice cubes are apparently the next big thing in cocktails.
- Great read on women in whiskey advertising over the last 100 years (spoiler: ad guys go horribly wrong).
- Cocktail hour a la Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf. With an ice luge.
- The barrel matters: some facts on aging whiskey.
- Seriously guys, I started my honeymoon doing this before we rented a car and drove around the South. I didn’t regret a moment of it.
Monday for May ends in ONE week! Are you up for the challenge?
- Simon Ford gives us the 7 most influential cocktails of all time. I agree.
- I’m really into these fruity chasers.
- Barrel-apocalypse. The next shortage to hit the cocktail/liquor world.
- Speaking of barrels, this Tales of the Cocktail program is a little deceiving (IF ONLY you could bring your own barrel and fill it up).
- Right now I am enjoying berries in all my cocktails. Like this one.
- Roundup of the best cocktail apps. I’ve got Bartender’s Choice, Mixology and the new Thirstie. Do you have a fav?
- Does someone have a contact for Connie Chung? Cause I think I just found a new lady I’d like to drink with.
- I’d also like to drink with these ladies. Here’s a few recipes from some Speed Rack finalists.
- Father’s Day is coming up. Here’s a beer poster for the dad who likes beer (which is every dad).
- If you’re in Los Angeles, here are Zagat’s choices for the 10 best Mezcal Cocktails.
- Not in L.A. but looking for a place to drink on Cinco de Mayo? Check these bars out.
- The Kentucky Derby may be over, but do you really need a reason for more Bourbon, Bourbon, Bourbon?
- Ok, so you did have too much too drink. Try these nonalcoholic drinks that actually sound delicious.
- Where is beer headed next? Apparently Africa.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Jungle Juice.
- We turn again to Jim Meehan as he tells us what’s in a well-stocked home bar.
- Beer made from a 35 million old WHALE BONE. Beat that Game of Thrones beer…
- Looking for a challenge? Try these cocktails at home today from a few top bartenders.
- Some helpful tips on how to choose which Beer Festival you’re attending this summer.
SCIENCE: drinking until you’re (not) drunk.
- You’re less likely to encounter violence in England now outside the bar, but you sure are paying a lot of money for that cocktail.
- What your zodiac sign says about how awful you are at being a drunk.
- Regional cocktail recipes to start your week with.
- On demand booze service. From your smart phone. Pants not required.
- Dirty Rotten Wine Scoundrels.
- 3D printers now invading bars (but it’s pretty cool).
- Alcohol expert says drink a bottle of wine every day. It’s good for you!
- After all the hype, powdered alcohol is actually not coming to a store near you.
- And lastly, if you’d like to be reminded that there are amazing people out there in the world, read this.
to drink with your leftover ham and lamb.
- Or, better yet, turn your leftovers into cocktails.
- Get to know the inventory of the shower wine glass holder.
- You need to up your garnish game. Here’s some tips.
- The fastest way to chill a cocktail glass (new to me).
- Free Wi-Fi AND a Manhattan? Screw the coffee shop, I’m there.
- Drink up the taste of a cigar.
- I need some beer school. These books should help.
- Los Angeles Spirits Expo is happening very soon. Like, in two and a half weeks.
- Tips for collecting vintage barware. Hint: don’t buy everything you see at that estate sale and lie to your husband about how much you actually spent.
Washed in bourbon.
- David Wondrich schools us on the history of shots. We listen.
- What does the birthplace of the tuxedo, the first sewage system and this drink have in common?
- Make your way through a garage sale for this new Los Angeles bar.
- New reading for this week: BAR magazine issue #2 is out.
- How to drink like the Mad Men in Every.Single.State.
- A very old message in a bottle.
- Mustard. In cocktails. It makes sense.
- Women who whiskey. How being a lady and drinking has changed over the last 30 years.
- Birthplaces of classic drinks and the bars you can (mostly) still drink them in!
- And lastly, congrats to the winners of Saveur’s Best Cocktail Blogs! You guys are awesome!
is the last day you can vote Stir & Strain for Saveur’s Best Cocktail Blog. If you’ve enjoyed the site, please vote!
- A Foie Gras cocktail. I’d drink that.
- Last week it was Game of Thrones, this week it’s Star Trek beer.
- The world’s largest wine cellar is in… Tampa?!
- Blue drinks are cool again (but they’ve always been loved on this site).
- Excellent list of small-batch additions for cocktails.
- Bored? Make some DIY cocktail umbrellas.
- Tips on making the perfect Mojito.
- Bank of England apparently had something to celebrate about last year.
- Hangover cures from hard-drinking chefs. I prefer vitamin water. And more water.
- Springtime cocktails are popping up on the Dine X Design site (with yours truly).
“exciting” history of the cocktail umbrella.
- And speaking of umbrella drinks, here’s a concise guide to TIKI for anyone new to the genre.
- Of course, if you’re going to make a Tiki drink, then unfortunately there’s that Lime Crisis going on right now…
- 15 Secret (not-so-secret) Bars to Visit.
- This week’s weird shaped bottle of booze comes from Russia and is shaped like a missile. No one is shocked.
- 10 countries you’re not drinking in.
- I’ve already pre-ordered my copy of Morgenthaler’s cocktail book.
- Craft Beverage Expo is coming to San Jose in May.
- And here’s 32 Craft Distillers that should be on your radar.
- Lastly, Monday’s big news for THIS website is Stir & Strain’s nomination for Saveur’s Best Cocktail Blog! If you’re a fan, please take a moment to vote for us. We love you.