- First, did you have a wine and cookie decorating party this past weekend? If you didn’t, you should. Here’s how to plan one.
- Thinking of starting a vintage cocktail glass collection? Here’s where to buy and what to buy...
- I mean, it’s not quite the end of the year but we’re close enough: top 100 spirits of 2018!
- Bartenders can do more than make you a great drink. Here’s a few ways they’re trying to make the world a better place.
- Visiting a distillery over the holidays? Having a whiskey tasting at your place next weekend? Here are some pro tips for tasting spirits.
- The most Instagrammable cocktail photo? Uhhh. Looks more like a weapon.
- If you’re in the US, Master of Malt can’t deliver your whiskey advent calendars or booze filled ornaments. So, just DIY the boozy ornaments this year.
- Cocktails garnished with bugs? It’s time for a trip to Singapore.
- Everything you’d want to know about Barbadian Style Rum.
- And finally, Applebee’s, once again, wants to get you dollar druuuuuuuunk (on Jolly Ranchers)! Happy Holidays!
- First, our Holiday Gift Guides have started and we’ve got some boozy books picked out for your gift giving needs.
- If you have to ask if it’s a Negroni, it’s probably not a Negroni. It’s a donut.
- And speaking of things that are like cocktails, but aren’t… Starbucks! Are you sneaking gin in my lattes?!
- Someone brought warm champagne to your holiday party?! The nerve! Ina Garten will show you how to chill that bottle real fast.
- NYC has a cocktail book library! But your library card won’t work there.
- Hey DIY’ers! Craft an ugly Christmas sweater that is also functional this year (i.e. one that will hold a bottle of wine for you)!
- Now you can go to Tales of the Cocktail anytime! And not just in the disgusting heat and humidity of New Orleans in July...
- Also, another reason to go to Peru besides llamas! Cocktails! With some crazy fire-breathing contraptions that they use to serve you drinks!
- It’s a sad time for Death’s Door Spirits...
- And finally, if your holiday bonus this year ends in multiple zeros, you might want to check out this pre-prohibition whiskey auction happening at Christie’s Auction house on December 7th. Keep us in mind for your generous holiday gifting!!!
- First, have you entered our Reader Survey yet? You could win a $50 gift card to Cocktail Kingdom just for telling us about yourself!
- We’ve got lots of Thanksgiving ideas for your week! Like how to dress up your bar cart.
- Here’s a Cranberry and Black Pepper Shrub
- Cranberry and Sherry are a fine match
- If you’re at your in-laws and you just have one bottle to work with, get the One Bottle Cocktail book!
- Serving wine and have NO IDEA what glasses to use. Check out this guide from Wine Enthusiast.
- Here’s some appetizer ideas to pair with wine for the day after Thanksgiving...
- If you have guests staying with you this week, make them happy with some Bourbon Salted Caramels. It’s easy to make. Promise!
- Flying out of town? Here’s how airlines are upping their beverage program.
- And finally, if you really want to be lazy and still have drinks for guests this week, just make some punch.
- First! We have a reader survey going on through the end of the month where we want to hear from YOU! Stir and Strain website likes, dislikes, cool things about yourself you want to tell us. Also, one random reader will get a $50 gift card to Cocktail Kingdom as a Thank You (but really, thank you to everyone for participating)!
- Hey look! It’s Ross from Friends possibly stealing some beer!
- Intrigued by Reposado Mezcal? Us too! Here’s a list of 10 brands to check out!
- Also, if you’re looking to purchase a special bottle of whiskey for someone this holiday season and you’ve got some money in your pocket, here’s 13 bottles over $50 that won’t disappoint.
- A great read on the first soda pop—guess the flavor!—and the chemistry behind it (fun fact: I was going to be a chemistry major in college but decided to get a BFA instead).
- When bar patrons go wild...
- Someone let David Wondrich know I’d be more than happy to write a chapter on girl garage band songs that should be played in bars.
- Get your passports out! Here’s some new bar openings from around the world!
- And on a final note, we remember Tom Vaught, icon in the bar world.
- First, remembering Dave Pickerell.
- Not concerned with climate change? Well, maybe you will be when your beer prices sky rocket (although you already should be concerned)!
- Uhhhhh….. looks like someone has been perusing my “adding aroma to cocktails” column on the site...
- Dinner party tidbit: why do we age spirits in oak barrels? VERY INTERESTING!
- A brief history on cocktails garnishes and maybe a push to get simpler again.
- And in case you missed it in the above article, please go read about punch biscuits and then everyone start making them.
- Ok, ok… servers? Is this true? Do you treat a guest like royalty if they give you their leftover wine?
- An argument for keeping the Old Fashioned simple.
- But since we don’t always like simple, just look at all the entries for The Old Fashioned Week over at TheOldReFashioned Instagram!
- Lastly, zero to do with cocktails but tomorrow are the midterm elections. Go vote. Go schedule it on your phone so you don’t forget. DO IT NOW.
- First, if you enjoy candy, and cocktails, we’ve got THREE drinks on the site that will satisfy your candy cravings without a trip to the dentist.
- Kate from Drinking with Chickens has a very moody, and very delicious cocktail you should drink. There’s also some spooky chicken feet in there.
- Drinking the rainbow is very on trend.
- Natalie from Arsenic Lace wins this week for most scary/awesome garnish game.
- Nope. Hard pass on Tesla flavored tequila.
- The folks over at Honestly Yum have a skeleton charcuterie board and no, it’s not cocktail related, but you should serve this at your next wine party!!!
- Charcoal in cocktails can be too spooky so Ashley from Craft and Cocktails would like to remind us that you can get black cocktails with squid ink.
- The Boozy Bungalow has a Halloween cocktail that looks like someone bled in your drink and just stop what you’re doing and check it out.
- Katie from the Garnish blog serves up some Day of the Dead inspired cocktails and an excuse to get some cute skull cocktail picks.
- And finally, what spooky sh*t is actually hiding in your can of La Croix?
- First, we celebrated #NationalCoffeeDay this past weekend by mixing it into a cocktail.
- You may or may not be excited about the Star Wars land coming to Disneyland next year, but we can all be excited for cocktails being served there for the first time in the park’s history!
- GIVE ME ALL YOUR COCKTAIL ONIONS!!!
- Are you a believer in screw top wines? I AM.
- Would you drink from a reusable beer bottle? Or would you bottle your beer with one? Oregon is trying that out right now.
- Audrey Saunders gets real technical about drink ratios, ice, and the perfect Daiquiri.
- I have so many questions about an ax throwing bar here in Los Angeles, but mainly what does their insurance policy cost??
- As we gear up towards holiday party season, here are some good food and wine pairing tips you should learn now.
- If you’re a fan of Japanese whisky, get ready for their gin!
- And finally, science says NO amount of alcohol is good for you. So… I guess I’m out of a job now?
- First up, voting closes September 12th (this Wednesday) for Saveur’s Best Blogs. We’re up for best drinks! Give us a vote if you like us!
- Second, did you know it’s Dale DeGroff who coined those cocktail glasses Nick & Nora glasses? He also gives the budding cocktail enthusiast some good advice….
- We just wrapped up a whole week of outfitting you home bar around a house cocktail for under $50 (including booze!). Catch up on all the guides here!
- Here’s some good advice for making an Old Fashioned cocktail.
- I am so behind in my edible gummy cocktail recipes.
- See also Ginhound.
- Should you judge a whiskey by its color? Maybe not. Unless it’s green. Then walk the hell away.
- Here’s something kinda gross: beer made from belly button lint.
- And finally, the more people who can talk about mental illness and addiction in the bar community, the more people will be helped.
Welcome to the final installment of our “Outfitting a Home Bar Under $50 (including booze!)” series. These guides are meant to be used either as is, or as a starting point to at least get the essentials in order so you’re not stuck with guests and no cocktails. If you have some extra change we’re also including one way to upgrade it as a bonus at the end of the guides!
Today we’re looking at the rum cocktail, the classic, the Daiquiri. You might only be familiar with the frozen kinds you get at the bar by the beach, but let me tell you, a simple Daiquiri is deceptively good, and super easy to make. And no, you don’t need a blender. (Also, realizing there’s a LOT of limes in these cocktail this week, so if you’re not so into those, shoot me an email or leave a comment below that you’d like a different, easy to make cocktail, and I’ll get back to you!) Hope you’ve enjoyed this series!
Daiquiri Home Bar Under $50 ($47.04)
- Rum: there are some great under $20 light rums out there now. Pick one you’d like to drink cause you’re going to taste it in this drink.
- Jigger: can’t stress enough how important an accurate pour is.
- Sugar: go ahead and make a large batch of simple syrup (1:1) and keep it in the fridge for up to a month.
- Pairing knife: there’s lime juice in the recipe so you’ll need to cut up some fruit.
- Limes: like I said…limes.
- Cocktail glass: again Ikea comes to the rescue. However, hit up some Goodwill shops or Etsy for my creative finds.
- Cocktail shaker: no need for a separate strainer as these have the built-in kind (Also, use your refrigerator’s ice maker to fill this with ice. No need for fancy cubes here).
- Citrus reamer: you need a lot of lime juice here so get it all out with a reamer.
Upgrade to an El Presidente ($32.05)
**Prices on products are subject to change and we cannot guarantee that you’ll still be able to score all this under fifty bucks come holiday season. Or two years from now. Pricing not including shipping and local taxes.
- Oh hey! We’re a finalist for Saveur Magazine’s Best Drinks Blog! If you like what we’re doing here, please consider voting for us.
- Like drinking cocktails but want a beer? Try these cocktail-inspired beers for your next drink.
- Is that fancy French rosé really cheap Spanish wine?
- This article has convinced me I need some cocktails with gold flakes in them. And also need to stock up on goldfish crackers.
- Sometimes I wished I lived near a forest so I could make foraged cocktails.
- If you’ve got some marmalade around, I’ve got a cocktail for you.
- Let’s take a journey down the long, funky road of Jamaican rum.
- This “underrated” list of liquors has me confused. When are gin and rum underrated? But yes, the takeaway here is we should all be drinking more Aquavit.
- My guide for how to enjoy an almost labor-free labor day (with drinks).
- And lastly, the Joy of Mixology was my BIBLE when I first started getting into mixology and now there’s a newly updated edition and I’m SO EXCITED. This is a must have in your cocktail book library.