- Speaking of Vermouth, apparently you should be drinking it all day… every day.
- Is there a movie or tv show that influenced the way you drink? Mad Men, I’d like my whiskey back in stock, thanks.
- A few quick words with Dale DeGroff and why you should always drink the local specialties.
- This is why there is a National Scotch Day this month (July 27th) and why we were “celebrating” National Piña Colada Day last week.
- It’s like getting hot boxed with booze. And some snakes.
- I wonder how this app would calculate you walking through that cloud of booze...
- Looking for some new beers to try this summer? Here’s 5 picks!
- You guys look like you need an infographic to ‘splain the differences between sparkling wines.
- Behind the scenes at Tales of the Cocktail. This all feels very familiar...
- And finally, as if you really needed another reason to go visit Trick Dog bar in SF: the dog calendar menu.
you like to ride around in a giant cucumber? Hendrick’s is going to make that dream come true.
- The secret to getting drunk by some notable Rap and R&B artists (hint: a lot of juice).
- Boozy pies should definitely be the next “thing”.
- Are your cocktails not inky black enough? Add some squid ink to them!
- Short on time to make a cocktail tonight? Try one of these super fast recipes.
- A $12,500 cocktail? A casino heist? An empty World record.
- This week’s themed beer release: Bohemian Rhapsody. I’m just surprised the song is 40 years old.
- SOMEONE GET ME A SLUSHIE MACHINE STAT! Gonna make me some illegal cocktails.
- Who needs Viagra? Go get some of this vodka.
- Sherry, Sherry, Sherry. Everyone loves Sherry.
I hit 4 years writing on Stir and Strain a few months ago. I’m not proclaiming this for any smug, self-gratifying reason; just acknowledging the milestone of keeping this going. And it is a milestone. With all the grumblings about the internet of the state of food blogging being dead, or near-dead, or reaching the saturation level that will soon too quickly rise to… well, being dead… ignoring all of that chatter, keeping your head down and moving on feels like a monthly, if not daily goal. So, OK, I’ll give myself a little pat on the back.
But writing on here is so different now. Audience wise, I’m reaching far more of you out there then I was 4 years ago. But choosing to leave an office work environment and confine myself to working under the same roof I sleep under day after day has made this a very insular, navel-gazing (or bottom of the rocks glass gazing) job. Job: it’s still a job.
Part of writing about cocktails was developing drinks an audience would love, and sharing those drinks in an experience where I could potentially see the outcome. While I’ve briefly done that once a month with the supper club, the day to day drinks on here usually only go as far as Christopher, if not just me, and have led to some unusual drinking hours (10am cocktails anyone?) that are dictated more on which way the light is coming through my windows rather than a special occasion coming up.
I realized that this was not a sustainable work environment, at least not for now, which is why I’ve come back around to trying to surround myself with creative people and fresh ideas. Collaborations are where it’s at when it’s time to get some new perspectives on the day to day.
So what does that mean? Some new collaborations (and voices!) coming up on the site this week as well as some partnered collaborations taking a sharp left from the usual recipe posts in the next few months. It also means you will find me hopping on over to a few other sites as well.
I hope you all enjoy some of the changes and tweaks to the site. And, as always, feel free to let me know how you feel about it.
loves an internet quiz! Find out what tiki drink you are because now you have to know...
- And then seek out a bottle of Rhum Agricole and make something funky.
- Get to know Speed Rack winner (and fellow Angeleno) Brittini Rae.
- I am IN LOVE with these porthole cocktail glasses. Please find me some!
- I wish some of these wine labels actually existed.
- If you’re not so much into Red Dye #whatever in your Campari, here’s a new alternative. I’m pretty excited!
- After a kick back a couple cocktails someone put some pickled pig lips covered in potato chips in front of me and I might consider it.
- One man’s lessons learned from giving up drinking (for a whole month).
- I keep telling myself I should really get into collecting rare liquors.
- And lastly, I’m right at the end of completing my Grog Log. Please feel free to virtually join in!
the first time I’ve seen a list like this, but the main point is that chefs love eating crap after a shift and bartenders like to drink Jägerbombs.
- Stolen whiskey. It was an inside job; it’s always an inside job.
- Ever dream of being a farmer? Now is a very good time to start growing hops.
- And while we’re on the topic of beer… all those empty cans can now be turned into DIY cooking gadgets.
- What’s all the hub-bub about Rosé? Read on for more info than you can shake an empty magnum at.
- Remember when I talked about a beer rinse for the ladies? Well, guys, here’s your new grooming line.
- Jamaica’s got it right with their stout ice cream.
- I can think of lots of drink names with Shiso in it, and I think it’s about time we stop naming drinks “About Thyme”.
- Imbibe rounded up some Beer Instagramers they think you should follow. But I personally recommend Jackie the Beeroness.
- Beer not so popular with the younger kids. Are millennials younger kids? I have no idea who millennials are but I know they’re not drinking Budwiser.
has made drinking beer look like a magic snowcapped mountain.
- Drunk. Robots. You’re welcome.
- Chimps. They’re just like us (And want to get their drink on).
- The Turkey Leg Tiki Glass!?!?! Covetable mugs for your tiki collection.
- All about Brandy (and some dinner talk fodder about its iconic glass).
- Root Beer was the next “it” mixer and now already we’re trying to make it into real beer. Take it easy folks!
- Bit By a Fox is nailing down the style of these NYC bartenders in her new series.
- #WhiteGirlProblems #NotAnotherRosé #OKGiveMeMoreRosé
- All the nominees for the Spirited Awards.
- Hey ceramics fans! This is what you should be drinking your wine out of now!
was only a matter of time: Pot Cocktails.
- The Northeast is making quite a number of delicious liquors as of late.
- Did you happen to eat a Negroni last week?
- This is not the first time that I’ve seen Sex in the City credited with jumpstarting the craft cocktail movement. What do you guys think?
- Has the tv show inspired you to go visit Silicon Valley? No? Well, at least there’s something good to drink there.
- And if you head down south to Los Angeles you can drink some of these cocktails. There’s 26 to choose from.
- Please don’t try and sell me your feminine flavored whisky thanks.
- Well, here’s the other side of Negroni week in a not so positive light.
- A new list of cocktail trends for this year (but when has gin not been a thing lately?).
- A Palm Springs bar for when you need to surround yourself with the old folks and the Ace seems like too much trouble.
Week starts this week! Which bar are you going to?
- If you’d also like an at home option, here’s a few variations I made.
- A little bit of history on the Negroni (did you know James Bond drank one?!).
- Even Town & Country is chiming in this week and Orson Wells and Gary Regan are spot on.
- If you’re looking for a new gin to add to your bar, check out these unique bottles.
- Hey guys! What do you think of making these cocktails the new classics?
- A magically hangover cure from Fergus Henderson (you’ll need this after this week).
- What are bartenders drinking after their shift? Apparently what we’re all drinking too.
- An illustrated guide to cocktail glasses.
- Now let’s begin your week with hamsters serving drinks in bars. Because we can’t get enough of this trend.
you need some not-the-usual beer cocktails I’ve rounded up a few on the site you can check out here.
- Todd put yogurt and chili jam in a cocktail and I JUST ABOUT DIED.
- Prairie Rose made a Harvey Wallbanger Slushie and I am SO OK with this.
- I’m pretty sure if you scooped this Ginger Mango Lime Sorbet from Tracy into a glass of sparkling wine it would be heaven.
- Here’s some cocktail party tips if you’re thinking about throwing a shindig today.
- Corn chips should really be the new cocktail garnish. Thanks Aida.
- Shrubs are so in right now. Mix these with booze, or don’t!
- Are you grilling meat this weekend? Why not grill some plums too?
- If you need some large format drinking options this weekend, this list is not bad at all.
- Is drinking a great cocktail not good enough? Do you also need to put it in a backpack or a spaceship? Here are some ideas for you then.
I love a good theme bar. And that sometime is happening this Fall. (Pass me the idol and I’ll pass you the cocktail… says everyone).
- Boobs aren’t that shocking, but finding a pubic hair in my vodka would make me sick.
- Tasting notes on the not-really-bourbon bourbon burger at McDonald’s.
- Outdoor wine drinking? Here’s some accessories to make it that much easier.
- Wes Anderson designed a bar. In Italy. You want to go to there.
- Are you up for a 24 hour cocktail competition? Yes? Really?
- A history of frozen slushie cocktails because summer is coming...
- A tiny tiki bar with hamsters. Those rodents are DRUNKS.
- Pretty rad old school L.A. bar signs (and restaurants too).
- Jell-O shots go WAY further back than you’d expect.