you a d-bag? Do you like to go to d-bag bars? Or rather, are you trying to avoid such bars? Here’s a list of 25 bars in L.A. that supposedly are full of d-bags.
- A non-alcoholic beer I might actually want to drink. With chocolate!
- But if you want real beer, Serious Eats has mapped out the best beers in EVERY state.
- Coffee shops: the next new place you can grab a cocktail at. And work on your screenplay.
- A FEW of my favorite brands are coming out of the Midwest. Here’s some to keep on your radar.
- I’m starting to prefer calling them Temperance Cocktails instead of Mocktails. And lots of bars of including them on their menus!
- I didn’t know you could/should decant white wine!! Learning something new every day!!
- Scotch flavored ice creams. YES PLEASE!
- I think the pineapple keg is going to trump the bronze pineapple as the “must have” bar cart item this summer.
- This week’s booze science claim: drink moderate amounts of alcohol to have superior mental abilities!! Or something like that...
list addition: go crazy at Tiki Kon.
- Is it too early to start thinking about Christmas presents? Champagne. In the trunk. Of your Aston Martin.
- Please keep your ants out of my cocktails. Thanks.
- I’m kinda in love with the copper case for the new Moscow Mule Carry On Kit.
- Weird autoimmune things run in the family. This study tells me I’m on the right path!
- Blue Wine? Cool! But does it taste good?
- Exercise and booze… a match made in yoga class.
- This is one way to raise money for charity: beer.
- I love a good cider in the summer. Here are 5 picks to try right now.
- All the winners of the Spirited Awards since the beginning. Because I love a good list.
made grilled Sangria ice spheres and plopped them in wine and I’m OBSESSED with them.
- And if you’re really into wine right now, but also want to eat, here are the 100 best wine restaurants in the U.S.
- Suggestions on the next crappy booze “hipsters” will drink and wipe out from the market.
- All the insanity that is #TOTC2015.
- I think second to my Tiki mug collection is my swizzle stick collection.
- America is getting on the Amaro train. I’m pretty excited about that Leopold Bros!
- If you’re looking to spend the afternoon reading. Punch rounded up 10 of their articles celebrating drinking in America.
- If you read between the lines, those cops went on a bender with all that booze and blew up the cars using confiscated explosives. Just saying...
- And yet, when I visited the country all I could get my hands on was halfway decent gin.
- Got $100 bucks? Here’s how to turn that into a great home bar.
- Speaking of Vermouth, apparently you should be drinking it all day… every day.
- Is there a movie or tv show that influenced the way you drink? Mad Men, I’d like my whiskey back in stock, thanks.
- A few quick words with Dale DeGroff and why you should always drink the local specialties.
- This is why there is a National Scotch Day this month (July 27th) and why we were “celebrating” National Piña Colada Day last week.
- It’s like getting hot boxed with booze. And some snakes.
- I wonder how this app would calculate you walking through that cloud of booze...
- Looking for some new beers to try this summer? Here’s 5 picks!
- You guys look like you need an infographic to ‘splain the differences between sparkling wines.
- Behind the scenes at Tales of the Cocktail. This all feels very familiar...
- And finally, as if you really needed another reason to go visit Trick Dog bar in SF: the dog calendar menu.
you like to ride around in a giant cucumber? Hendrick’s is going to make that dream come true.
- The secret to getting drunk by some notable Rap and R&B artists (hint: a lot of juice).
- Boozy pies should definitely be the next “thing”.
- Are your cocktails not inky black enough? Add some squid ink to them!
- Short on time to make a cocktail tonight? Try one of these super fast recipes.
- A $12,500 cocktail? A casino heist? An empty World record.
- This week’s themed beer release: Bohemian Rhapsody. I’m just surprised the song is 40 years old.
- SOMEONE GET ME A SLUSHIE MACHINE STAT! Gonna make me some illegal cocktails.
- Who needs Viagra? Go get some of this vodka.
- Sherry, Sherry, Sherry. Everyone loves Sherry.
I hit 4 years writing on Stir and Strain a few months ago. I’m not proclaiming this for any smug, self-gratifying reason; just acknowledging the milestone of keeping this going. And it is a milestone. With all the grumblings about the internet of the state of food blogging being dead, or near-dead, or reaching the saturation level that will soon too quickly rise to… well, being dead… ignoring all of that chatter, keeping your head down and moving on feels like a monthly, if not daily goal. So, OK, I’ll give myself a little pat on the back.
But writing on here is so different now. Audience wise, I’m reaching far more of you out there then I was 4 years ago. But choosing to leave an office work environment and confine myself to working under the same roof I sleep under day after day has made this a very insular, navel-gazing (or bottom of the rocks glass gazing) job. Job: it’s still a job.
Part of writing about cocktails was developing drinks an audience would love, and sharing those drinks in an experience where I could potentially see the outcome. While I’ve briefly done that once a month with the supper club, the day to day drinks on here usually only go as far as Christopher, if not just me, and have led to some unusual drinking hours (10am cocktails anyone?) that are dictated more on which way the light is coming through my windows rather than a special occasion coming up.
I realized that this was not a sustainable work environment, at least not for now, which is why I’ve come back around to trying to surround myself with creative people and fresh ideas. Collaborations are where it’s at when it’s time to get some new perspectives on the day to day.
So what does that mean? Some new collaborations (and voices!) coming up on the site this week as well as some partnered collaborations taking a sharp left from the usual recipe posts in the next few months. It also means you will find me hopping on over to a few other sites as well.
I hope you all enjoy some of the changes and tweaks to the site. And, as always, feel free to let me know how you feel about it.
loves an internet quiz! Find out what tiki drink you are because now you have to know...
- And then seek out a bottle of Rhum Agricole and make something funky.
- Get to know Speed Rack winner (and fellow Angeleno) Brittini Rae.
- I am IN LOVE with these porthole cocktail glasses. Please find me some!
- I wish some of these wine labels actually existed.
- If you’re not so much into Red Dye #whatever in your Campari, here’s a new alternative. I’m pretty excited!
- After a kick back a couple cocktails someone put some pickled pig lips covered in potato chips in front of me and I might consider it.
- One man’s lessons learned from giving up drinking (for a whole month).
- I keep telling myself I should really get into collecting rare liquors.
- And lastly, I’m right at the end of completing my Grog Log. Please feel free to virtually join in!
the first time I’ve seen a list like this, but the main point is that chefs love eating crap after a shift and bartenders like to drink Jägerbombs.
- Stolen whiskey. It was an inside job; it’s always an inside job.
- Ever dream of being a farmer? Now is a very good time to start growing hops.
- And while we’re on the topic of beer… all those empty cans can now be turned into DIY cooking gadgets.
- What’s all the hub-bub about Rosé? Read on for more info than you can shake an empty magnum at.
- Remember when I talked about a beer rinse for the ladies? Well, guys, here’s your new grooming line.
- Jamaica’s got it right with their stout ice cream.
- I can think of lots of drink names with Shiso in it, and I think it’s about time we stop naming drinks “About Thyme”.
- Imbibe rounded up some Beer Instagramers they think you should follow. But I personally recommend Jackie the Beeroness.
- Beer not so popular with the younger kids. Are millennials younger kids? I have no idea who millennials are but I know they’re not drinking Budwiser.
has made drinking beer look like a magic snowcapped mountain.
- Drunk. Robots. You’re welcome.
- Chimps. They’re just like us (And want to get their drink on).
- The Turkey Leg Tiki Glass!?!?! Covetable mugs for your tiki collection.
- All about Brandy (and some dinner talk fodder about its iconic glass).
- Root Beer was the next “it” mixer and now already we’re trying to make it into real beer. Take it easy folks!
- Bit By a Fox is nailing down the style of these NYC bartenders in her new series.
- #WhiteGirlProblems #NotAnotherRosé #OKGiveMeMoreRosé
- All the nominees for the Spirited Awards.
- Hey ceramics fans! This is what you should be drinking your wine out of now!
was only a matter of time: Pot Cocktails.
- The Northeast is making quite a number of delicious liquors as of late.
- Did you happen to eat a Negroni last week?
- This is not the first time that I’ve seen Sex in the City credited with jumpstarting the craft cocktail movement. What do you guys think?
- Has the tv show inspired you to go visit Silicon Valley? No? Well, at least there’s something good to drink there.
- And if you head down south to Los Angeles you can drink some of these cocktails. There’s 26 to choose from.
- Please don’t try and sell me your feminine flavored whisky thanks.
- Well, here’s the other side of Negroni week in a not so positive light.
- A new list of cocktail trends for this year (but when has gin not been a thing lately?).
- A Palm Springs bar for when you need to surround yourself with the old folks and the Ace seems like too much trouble.