Whiskey: get into it.
- Why is my cocktail so expensive? An explanation of what goes into your drink’s price.
- This list was made for me: beers for cocktail lovers.
- Punch recipes from people who know what the hell they’re doing.
- “Slow Foods” cocktail brings needed attention to rare foods in need of saving.
- Eric Asimov teaches us about California Rosés. Hint: they’re freaking delicious.
- Golden State of Cocktails might not be happening until 2015, but there’s a preview in SF this September!!
- “Ladder Bars”: are they just showing off?
- Drink inspiration from the Farmers Market.
- Stupid video of the week: bartender accidentally sets customer on fire with dumb drink.
to up your garnish game? Try out these simple tutorials (with videos!) and check back here to see which one I copied.
- You guys might complain when I add a lot of stuff to my recipes, but come on, at least it’s not 71!
- Kevin makes amazing jams and then he went and put Rosé in one. Swoon.
- There’s no end to the drought in California. Here’s how some bars are helping.
- Today Eric Asimov teaches you about Zinfandel.
- Did you know national tequila day is July 24? Neither did I. Here’s a bunch of tequila drinks for you guys to check out.
- Health and wellness: this year’s new trend in cocktails.
- All the winners at this year’s Spirited Awards. Europe, you’re looking good.
- Maryland college kids are going to need another booze to make Jungle Juice with now.
- D.C.’s new cocktail scene deserves a look.
totally on board with the resurgence of blended drinks as long as they don’t suck.
- Is flavored gin really gin? Would you try cat gin? Do you even want to debate this?
- Tales of the Cocktail begins this week and I’m missing it AGAIN.
- Maybe I’ll try and hit up Tiki Oasis instead.
- Animated gifs of people taking shots in movies because we all love animated gifs.
- This pineapple coconut water looks so lovely. It’s just missing a shot of rum.
- Equal parts cocktails aren’t just that great for the modern palate (I’m in agreement with this Negroni recipe).
- Some summer wine suggestions that may pique your interest.
- Self-serve beer kiosks at game stadiums? Pretty sure Los Angeles will never see these.
- The Eater 38 Essential Cocktail Bars list has been updated and now I need to book some travel days.
- This week’s health claim: wine reduces vision loss.
- Cocktail. Snow Cones. Yeeeeeesssssssss!!!
- If you’re drinking a diluted Pimm’s Cup, you should just be drinking lemonade. Poor Wimbledon.
- Make Zima at home (I’m looking at you Death to Sour Mix)!
- A bunch of stupid drink hacks that I’m sure will end up as a Low Rent Cocktail on this site someday.
- Well, if beer wasn’t your thing, you can now have your fill of Game of Thrones wine.
- A little history on just why the hell we break a bottle of booze on ships.
- Observations about life from bartenders.
- Looking for a place to holiday this Fall? Try the absinthe trail!
- Are you in Los Angeles this week? Check out the Coconut Club Tiki Supperclub experience.
- Coffee flavored wine. I’m…I’m so confused by this.
- Service charges for cocktails? Yea or nay?
- The health community continues to contradict itself with medical studies on alcohol.
- Shrubs. This summer’s cocktail buzz word (lives up to the hype).
- Musings on the history of the Martini with a recipe of one you can snort.
- Oh shit. We’re running out of whiskey.
- Yeah, Kentucky is beautiful, but we’re mainly coming to drink all your booze.
- Hella Bitters has a kickstarter for a make your own bitters kit. Check it!
- Everyone’s falling in love with Orgeat. All the Tiki folks like “duuuuuhhhhhhh”.
- Go grab some barefoot virgins and make Nocino today.
- The World Cup is on (I’m watching and I don’t know why). Here’s a drink matched for every team playing.
- Honolulu is upping their tropical cocktail game and I’m having serious #FOMO.
- Floating vines, stray bullets…the world’s most EXTREME vineyards.
- Does “local” mean more to you than “taste”? The current situation with craft distilling.
- A drink a day keeps the eye doctor away!
- I’m all for “Sunrise Pick Me Ups”: a brief history of the Old Fashioned.
- Defining what makes “Tennessee Whiskey” if it’s not from Tennessee.
- Trendy bar name generator. I got Cleaver & Yard. I’d drink there.
- The World’s Most Imaginative bartender made a cocktail that tastes like money.
- Like drinking games? Like the Golden Girls? Here you go...
beer around the world. Keep this handy.
- Some excellent tips for writing a cocktail book from Michael Dietsch.
- Beer for dogs. Wine for cats. These exist in our world.
- And so does PB&J beer. Has anyone tried this yet?
- Not a bad list of gins, but missing so many others...
- Bruce Lee flair bartending style. Show off.
- Whoa New Hampshire! I guess if you’re stuck in the woods all the time you’re going to drink. A lot.
- A very scientific approach to batching cocktails (i.e. my new method).
- Nice little article on Jeffrey Morgenthaler who has a really great book out right now.
- It’s my birthday. Will someone please by me a set of handblown Aquavit glasses?
an awesome campaign to record the history of the West Coast Cocktail!
- The oldest Tiki bars in America. I’ve been to 4 out of 5. I think this list is missing a couple though.
- WHO IS BRINGING THEIR OWN BITTERS TO THE BAR? WHO? Miracle Mile Bitters is excused from this.
- Canada…you’re so predictable.
- Whiskey flavored pigs. Seriously guys.
- Everyone should have a house cocktail. What’s yours?
- A great piece that argues both for rusticity and modernity for authenticity in Mexican spirits.
- Weird cocktail names. Monkey gland always sounded strange to me...
- A cocktail bar graph for the modern farmer.
- Plastic beer bag sounds both awful and applicable.
- Father’s Day is less than a week away. Here are the Stir & Strain gift picks!
- Negroni Week starts today. I kicked it off a little early last week.
- How are people not surprised that the unmarked bottle of slushie booze bought through Instagram could potentially kill them?
- Sometimes I find it funny that we need to remind people how to behave in bars. Like this.
- New for the 21st century! Snake oil dealers are now working with ice.
- 8 weird cocktail ingredients (a few of which you’ve seen here before).
- Texas, land of beer, is now the land of salty vodka drinkers.
- World’s most expensive drinks always tend to have a diamond stuck in there somewhere. Here’s a tour of them!
- Here’s 10 things that local venerated L.A. barman Eric Alperin hates (I hate these things too).
- Bottled cocktail: not just a fad.
- Need some day drinking ideas? Try these out.
- And whatever you do, don’t let Mario Batali make you a drink.
have until MIDNIGHT (your time zone) to get your entry in for Mixology Monday!
- Highlights from this year’s Manhattan Cocktail Classic Gala. Bummed I missed it.
- Do you want to be a brand ambassador? Here’s some tips for landing that job.
- The rise of the Bitter in cocktails, with a side of science.
- So basically you’re telling me I need to drink more champagne? OK, I can do that.
- Flavor infused ice cubes are apparently the next big thing in cocktails.
- Great read on women in whiskey advertising over the last 100 years (spoiler: ad guys go horribly wrong).
- Cocktail hour a la Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf. With an ice luge.
- The barrel matters: some facts on aging whiskey.
- Seriously guys, I started my honeymoon doing this before we rented a car and drove around the South. I didn’t regret a moment of it.