Week starts this week! Which bar are you going to?
- If you’d also like an at home option, here’s a few variations I made.
- A little bit of history on the Negroni (did you know James Bond drank one?!).
- Even Town & Country is chiming in this week and Orson Wells and Gary Regan are spot on.
- If you’re looking for a new gin to add to your bar, check out these unique bottles.
- Hey guys! What do you think of making these cocktails the new classics?
- A magically hangover cure from Fergus Henderson (you’ll need this after this week).
- What are bartenders drinking after their shift? Apparently what we’re all drinking too.
- An illustrated guide to cocktail glasses.
- Now let’s begin your week with hamsters serving drinks in bars. Because we can’t get enough of this trend.
you need some not-the-usual beer cocktails I’ve rounded up a few on the site you can check out here.
- Todd put yogurt and chili jam in a cocktail and I JUST ABOUT DIED.
- Prairie Rose made a Harvey Wallbanger Slushie and I am SO OK with this.
- I’m pretty sure if you scooped this Ginger Mango Lime Sorbet from Tracy into a glass of sparkling wine it would be heaven.
- Here’s some cocktail party tips if you’re thinking about throwing a shindig today.
- Corn chips should really be the new cocktail garnish. Thanks Aida.
- Shrubs are so in right now. Mix these with booze, or don’t!
- Are you grilling meat this weekend? Why not grill some plums too?
- If you need some large format drinking options this weekend, this list is not bad at all.
- Is drinking a great cocktail not good enough? Do you also need to put it in a backpack or a spaceship? Here are some ideas for you then.
I love a good theme bar. And that sometime is happening this Fall. (Pass me the idol and I’ll pass you the cocktail… says everyone).
- Boobs aren’t that shocking, but finding a pubic hair in my vodka would make me sick.
- Tasting notes on the not-really-bourbon bourbon burger at McDonald’s.
- Outdoor wine drinking? Here’s some accessories to make it that much easier.
- Wes Anderson designed a bar. In Italy. You want to go to there.
- Are you up for a 24 hour cocktail competition? Yes? Really?
- A history of frozen slushie cocktails because summer is coming...
- A tiny tiki bar with hamsters. Those rodents are DRUNKS.
- Pretty rad old school L.A. bar signs (and restaurants too).
- Jell-O shots go WAY further back than you’d expect.
for some boozy Instagram accounts to follow? Check these out (and yes, Stir and Strain IS on there).
- Well, here’s the proof that making a good punch is now pretty mainstream.
- Stay classy France.
- Want to taste that wine before you drop some cash on it? Now you can! In strip form!
- Dale DeGroff tells you about his favorite cocktails and has a few stories on them as well.
- The next trend in bars? Booze lockers. And Los Angeles has got ’em.
- If you’d like to know why you’re decanting that bottle of wine, read this.
- Another classic cocktail book is getting some revisions in light of this whole mixology movement. Regan talks about what’s changing.
- All we want to do is sit around drinking in our underwear and eating pizza.
- Always order more ice than you think you need (seems obvious but it’s true) and other tips for volume bartending.
the last day to enter the Partida Tequila and Salt Traders Cinco de Mayo giveaway on the site!
- Wallet feeling pinched? Try these bottles under $30.
- Test how much you actually know about gin and then argue about it in the comment section!
- Is it craft? Blue Moon is getting sued.
- These guys ARE craft. Are you craft? Go here.
- Manhattan Cocktail Classic is a no go this year folks.
- How does New York fit all these distillers in there?
- Baffled by Sake? Learn how to order it here.
- Ladies (and guys I guess too): Beer Rinsing. It’s a thing for your hair.
- New trend alert: Root beer is your new mixer.
is the LAST WEEK to vote Stir and Strain for Saveur’s Best Blog awards in the Cocktail category. I’d sure love it if you took a moment to do that!
- St. George Spirits is a pretty rad company.
- If you’re really nuts about Negroni Week, now you can bathe yourself in the stuff.
- Yes, you should go and get the new edition of Imbibe! and here’s an interview to whet your appetite.
- A Mai Tai that pairs well with food. I’ll take 2 please.
- The take away from this article is eat a lot of Polish sausage to prevent a hangover. Oh, and pickles. Lots of pickles too.
- Where is the best whisky right now? Taiwan. It’s in Taiwan.
- This cocktail menu doesn’t sound confusing. It sounds delicious.
- New Orleans is banning smoking in bars. HOLY CRAP.
- Sorbet? Meringue? RUM? CHAMPAGNE?!?!? Drink like you’re on the Titanic.
a giveaway going on right now to win a couple bottle of Small Hand Foods syrups! Enter now!
- I’d have lost my thumb about 30 seconds in to attempting this.
- Carbonated Cocktail Version 2.OMGIWANTTHIS!
- Warm beer. Sports. My gut is telling me to let someone else break this record.
- But drinking alcohol CAN improve your week.
- And here’s a list of THE BEST drinking cities (*as compiled by Thrillist. **Does not reflect author’s own views).
- At this point in the cocktail movement, I don’t consider any ingredient to be “unlikely”. Especially this.
- A bar out in the desert that you need map coordinates in order to reach? Road trip!!
- The answer is yes. If British gin invades the American market, people are going to snatch it up.
- Ben and Jerry’s beer. This also exists now.
week’s science claim: coffee keeps liver cancer caused by drinking at bay.
- We all love infographics. Here’s one on bar lingo and how to sound cool.
- A round up of some of the most popular craft brews for your perusal.
- And if you’d like some more beer knowledge, try this book. I’d buy it for the cover alone.
- DNA used to recreate Leonardo da Vinci’s vineyard (science is way cool).
- Visit Dublin. Bottle your very own Jameson. Plan ticket please...
- Audrey Saunders tells you how to make a Martini like a boss.
- How do you make an incredible cocktail menu? Take some cues from the chef.
- Where to get the best Martini outside of the U.S. (a.k.a. get your plane tickets ready).
- I like the read of the article on why we should pay attention to the anniversary of the Pegu Club and then the comment after the article. Always a struggle.
ongoing insanity that is powdered alcohol. Should it be banned or not folks?
- And then there’s the insanity of those Midwest Bloody Mary Garnishes. Here’s how that whole thing started.
- Need even more reasons why Tiki is big in Los Angeles??
- As Mad Men begins its final season, here’s the dark end result of all that drinking.
- I think I’m about due for a trip down south. To drink.
- American’s can’t spell the liquors they love. Not surprised.
- In 34 years, India still not seeing many women bartenders.
- What do Sommeliers want to drink? These.
- For those of you who need perfection in your lives (when it comes to your drinking), here’s how to drink a perfect Whisky.
- And now that you know how to drink it, it’s going to be cheaper to bring that Scotch home thanks to a tax cut in the UK.
- I don’t consider all of these to be dive bars here in Los Angeles, but I DO recommend drinking at the Cozy. There’s shuffleboard! And cheetos!
And lastly, Saveur Best Blog Award voting is ALL MONTH long! Please consider Stir and Strain if you’ve enjoyed the site!
Interrupting your regularly scheduled Booze News to bring you this:
Regular Booze News will start up again next week. This kinda trumps the rest of the stories I had planned.