- First, a little history via James Bond. Because bitters were his first love.
- And for even more history on the drink, check out the book by Gary Regan!
- Not sure what bars in your neighborhood are participating this year? Check out this bar finder and see what charity your bar is supporting.
- Pins are so hot right now. And you can have your very own Negroni version to rock out with this week.
- Negroni lollipops. They’re a thing you should eat.
- And speaking of eating, if you’re in Los Angeles this week, check out Break Room 86 and enjoy a Negroni Ice Cream sandwich. Because… ice cream (and because we’ll be stopping in Wednesday night for a special cocktail surprise. Watch for details on Instagram!).
- Did you check out our Negroni Week post? We got all the details on what it is, AND THREE NEW COCKTAILS for you to enjoy.
- You can also eyeball our other Negroni riffs from years past. Coconut. Coffee. Go get ’em.
- Accessorize your ensemble this week with a Negroni bandana and $2 of each sale will benefit the San Francisco Marin food bank!
- And lastly, we’ll be out and about all week supporting our favorite bars and charities. Stop on by our Instagram and say hi and let us know where you’re going!
- Forget 6 packs of beer, there’s 6 packs of CHAMPAGNE now!
- If your cocktail isn’t served in an oversized light bulb… why even bother?
- Trash tiki. Learn it. Love it. Live it.
- Allspice dram, a flavor for all seasons.
- Not all bubbles are the same. Get to know the differences between seltzer and club soda. You guys already know why tonic water is different…right?
- Make the effort to buy good, cheap wine and not cheap, bad wine.
- Want to know what cocktails you should be Instagramming this summer? These cocktails. Right here.
- Drink Rogue beer, send a kid to school. Yay beer!
- Apparently there are rules for drinking mezcal…one of which includes worms.
- And finally, Negroni Week is starting June 5th and we’ll be sharing a bunch of Negroni adventures here and on our Instagram. Follow along!
- Tiki bars are not going anywhere. But you can easily make your own at home too. Here’s how!
- Bourbon. A whole bottle. On your doorstep. Every month.
- Everything you wanted to know about whiskey in this easy to read primer. Plus, lots of great distilleries and recipes!
- Making your own orgeat is riddick easy. Did you know you can use pistachios? We did that.
- Plants! Cocktails! Cocktail terrariums! I must drink here.
- All about scotchy scotch scotch (and it’s a video!).
- So many pickleback recipes, for when you need more than…just one…pickleback.
- Twin Peaks is coming back. Here’s a cocktail to get you excited about that.
- So, pretty much Chicago is going to go in and shake up the NYC cocktail scene.
- And finally, a new cocktail book devoted to DAY DRINKING. YASSSSSS!
- Rosé forties. The basic drink of summer, and also a lifestyle choice.
- And with all that “wine tasting” you’ll be doing this summer, you’ll be pleased to know that it’s actually good for your brain*. (*#alternativesciencefacts)
- I’m not bringing my babies to bars either.
- Craft cocktails ARE all the rage right now…
- OK, so I can bartend in VR but WHO WILL THROW THE BOOZE INTO MY MOUTH?!
- This is old news but I both love the idea of Fernet and Beer and the name here. Beer me up.
- Even Bill Murray couldn’t save the Manhattan Cocktail Classic this year.
- Ain’t nobody getting this rum punch recipe.
- Are you shaking your cocktails correctly? Hint: if it takes more than one person you’re doing it wrong.
- And finally, if you’re going to put “red diaries” and “Clive Owen” in your cocktail movie Campari, and he is not bartending in the nude, I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR MOVIE.
Due to popular demand, and by that I mean the handful of you who have expressed interest in this column, the Monday Booze News has returned on a semi-weekly…monthly… basis. I had struggled to keep this up due to not a lot of interesting booze news going on and had decided to put this column to sleep for awhile, but OH BOY, the news that happened in the meantime! So here you go folks, the booze news you’ve been missing. Starting with…
- Opening your damn wine bottle with a SHOE.
- My dear friend Nathan, who’s becoming quite a who’s who in the LA Cocktail scene here, had a whole article written about him. All the warm feels when your friends are doing awesome!
- Go home Apple Watch, you’re drunk.
- Camper English has been doing some fun things with clear ice balls lately. Check this interview out on Cocktail Chemistry!
- And for those ice balls, check out his Instagram.
- What the real history of May 5th is all about.
- Time Out LA’s Bar Awards of 2017 nominations list is out and boy, you should drink at ALL these places.
- An article on horseshoes that doesn’t involve Kentucky: what are horseshoe shaped bars all about?
- LIQUOR SOAKED FRENCH CHEESE.
- The Garnish Blog has a great list of cocktail blogs for you to check out (and we’re one of them!).
If you’re not familiar with DPD, they’re a one hour radio program usually broadcast on your local public radio station and their job is to help you win your next dinner party with news tidbits, interviews, etiquette questions, and, most importantly, cocktail recipes. They’ve been doing this for awhile, so you can spend some time browsing their recipes for something to make for your next dinner party (and get a little history lesson too!). This post includes a few of my favorite shots I’ve taken for them over the past couple of years.
Well hello readers. It’s that time of year–time for the Saveur Blog Awards! This year they’ve added some new categories but I’m asking for your help with just one: cocktails. Unless of course besides our spiritous content you’re also a big fan of our photography, or our Instagram, or all of it. If you are a fan, and you feel like taking the steps to go to another website and fill in some information to let Saveur know you like us, then please visit their site here.
As always, thanks for reading!
Well guys, it’s time we switched things up around here. Today marks the final installment of the Monday Booze News. But don’t fret! We’re just making room for some new adventures and who knows, maybe down the line we’ll bring this back on another day. Until then, here’s a few notable items for you to peruse.
- I told you all about these Cocktail Hour Playing Cards a few weeks back and there’s just two more days to go until the Kickstarter ends. Please go support getting these rad cards made!
- Also, did you know that today is the LAST day to enter to win a Summer Scotch Cocktail Kit from Shaker & Spoon on this site? NO!? Well it is!
- If it kills you to send a text using the standard beer mug emoji, now you have 60 beer related ones to choose from.
- What champagne to drink with your fried chicken this summer because… fancy!
- The only reason you can’t buy Pappy anymore is because millennials bought it all up to impress their friends on Instagram.
- Just how much is a dash? (Answer: there is no answer.)
- One last time you guys: how to be a wine snob.
- Taylor Swift’s favorite cocktail is spiked Diet Coke; that is not a cocktail.
- Kefir! The next new health fad! Let’s put some booze in it!
- And lastly: Go home Wisconsin, you’re drunk.
- Get to know some Canadian whiskies before you pack it up and move to Canada.
- The world’s smallest bar has only a two week waiting list?! Time for a trip to Italy.
- Boozy whale popsicles, cotton candy, bourbon gummies—and this is just ONE Tiki drink!
- Negroni Week starts today. Here are a few of my Negroni variations from last year and one of my favorite photos.
- I only knew the Shotski from Bravo TV, but apparently it’s been around a LOT longer...
- Come for the steak, stay for super soakers filled with champagne they’ll shoot into your mouth.
- Not only do Bavarians drink beer before noon, they also have a SECOND BREAKFAST!
- Not all Rosé wines are created equal, but someone’s weeded out the good ones to try!
- I think threatening the bartender is what actually got her thrown out. Not by ordering cheap gin.
- Some Chicago bartenders have pretty awesome Instagram accounts.
- And lastly, with Father’s Day coming up, and graduation (from college! Not for you high schoolers who shouldn’t be here.), and what else is this month? Flag day? Your wedding? For all your holiday needs, go buy some booze. Here’s my picks!
- There’s a new tiki bible in town. What does Martin Cate have to say?
- There’s a LOT of cocktail conferences now. Starting this June you can go to one EVERY MONTH for a YEAR. Sounds like fun? Maybe...
- In case you need a refresher course, here’s everything you need to know about the Daiquiri.
- Bottled cocktails are here… and some are really not that bad.
- New study proves college students still AWFUL and girls- pour your own drinks please?
- “Sonic seasoning” and how sound can effect the taste of wine.
- Single malts from around the world. Which ones should you be drinking?
- Are you kidding me?? Change it back to “Old Tub” and I’d buy it anytime!
- Negroni Week is coming people! What charity is your local bar donating to?
- And lastly, the story behind 18.21 Bitters and how cancer helped pushed this company to life.