- First, we celebrated #NationalCoffeeDay this past weekend by mixing it into a cocktail.
- You may or may not be excited about the Star Wars land coming to Disneyland next year, but we can all be excited for cocktails being served there for the first time in the park’s history!
- GIVE ME ALL YOUR COCKTAIL ONIONS!!!
- Are you a believer in screw top wines? I AM.
- Would you drink from a reusable beer bottle? Or would you bottle your beer with one? Oregon is trying that out right now.
- Audrey Saunders gets real technical about drink ratios, ice, and the perfect Daiquiri.
- I have so many questions about an ax throwing bar here in Los Angeles, but mainly what does their insurance policy cost??
- As we gear up towards holiday party season, here are some good food and wine pairing tips you should learn now.
- If you’re a fan of Japanese whisky, get ready for their gin!
- And finally, science says NO amount of alcohol is good for you. So… I guess I’m out of a job now?
- First up, voting closes September 12th (this Wednesday) for Saveur’s Best Blogs. We’re up for best drinks! Give us a vote if you like us!
- Second, did you know it’s Dale DeGroff who coined those cocktail glasses Nick & Nora glasses? He also gives the budding cocktail enthusiast some good advice….
- We just wrapped up a whole week of outfitting you home bar around a house cocktail for under $50 (including booze!). Catch up on all the guides here!
- Here’s some good advice for making an Old Fashioned cocktail.
- I am so behind in my edible gummy cocktail recipes.
- See also Ginhound.
- Should you judge a whiskey by its color? Maybe not. Unless it’s green. Then walk the hell away.
- Here’s something kinda gross: beer made from belly button lint.
- And finally, the more people who can talk about mental illness and addiction in the bar community, the more people will be helped.
Welcome to the final installment of our “Outfitting a Home Bar Under $50 (including booze!)” series. These guides are meant to be used either as is, or as a starting point to at least get the essentials in order so you’re not stuck with guests and no cocktails. If you have some extra change we’re also including one way to upgrade it as a bonus at the end of the guides!
Today we’re looking at the rum cocktail, the classic, the Daiquiri. You might only be familiar with the frozen kinds you get at the bar by the beach, but let me tell you, a simple Daiquiri is deceptively good, and super easy to make. And no, you don’t need a blender. (Also, realizing there’s a LOT of limes in these cocktail this week, so if you’re not so into those, shoot me an email or leave a comment below that you’d like a different, easy to make cocktail, and I’ll get back to you!) Hope you’ve enjoyed this series!
Daiquiri Home Bar Under $50 ($47.04)
- Rum: there are some great under $20 light rums out there now. Pick one you’d like to drink cause you’re going to taste it in this drink.
- Jigger: can’t stress enough how important an accurate pour is.
- Sugar: go ahead and make a large batch of simple syrup (1:1) and keep it in the fridge for up to a month.
- Pairing knife: there’s lime juice in the recipe so you’ll need to cut up some fruit.
- Limes: like I said…limes.
- Cocktail glass: again Ikea comes to the rescue. However, hit up some Goodwill shops or Etsy for my creative finds.
- Cocktail shaker: no need for a separate strainer as these have the built-in kind (Also, use your refrigerator’s ice maker to fill this with ice. No need for fancy cubes here).
- Citrus reamer: you need a lot of lime juice here so get it all out with a reamer.
Upgrade to an El Presidente ($32.05)
**Prices on products are subject to change and we cannot guarantee that you’ll still be able to score all this under fifty bucks come holiday season. Or two years from now. Pricing not including shipping and local taxes.
- Oh hey! We’re a finalist for Saveur Magazine’s Best Drinks Blog! If you like what we’re doing here, please consider voting for us.
- Like drinking cocktails but want a beer? Try these cocktail-inspired beers for your next drink.
- Is that fancy French rosé really cheap Spanish wine?
- This article has convinced me I need some cocktails with gold flakes in them. And also need to stock up on goldfish crackers.
- Sometimes I wished I lived near a forest so I could make foraged cocktails.
- If you’ve got some marmalade around, I’ve got a cocktail for you.
- Let’s take a journey down the long, funky road of Jamaican rum.
- This “underrated” list of liquors has me confused. When are gin and rum underrated? But yes, the takeaway here is we should all be drinking more Aquavit.
- My guide for how to enjoy an almost labor-free labor day (with drinks).
- And lastly, the Joy of Mixology was my BIBLE when I first started getting into mixology and now there’s a newly updated edition and I’m SO EXCITED. This is a must have in your cocktail book library.
- Looking for a two-ingredient cocktail? I’d like to introduce you to the Suze and Soda.
- I spritz, you spritz, we spritz. Here’s 10 Spritz(es).
- Is that tobacco on the cocktail menu? RUN AWAY!!!
- It’s still hot out. Let’s go drink some frozen cocktails at a bar.
- Get your wallet! Best Asian Whiskey under $100 (and not just from Japan).
- Snoop Dog made the world’s largest gin and juice and no one was surprised.
- This cocktail book has both alcoholic and nonalcoholic versions of drinks for days when you do and days when you don’t. Get it!
- Science saves the day! Here’s the quickest route to visit the top breweries in the U.S.
- If you can paint by number, you can learn wine types by color! And not just red, white and pink.
- And finally, WTFFFFFF is going on with the Seagram’s family?! Two words: sex cult.
Welcome to your August Booze News. Enjoy.
- It’s summer. You should be drinking your cocktail out of a coconut.
- We all enjoy cocktail umbrellas in our drinks (yes, even you). Here’s where they came from.
- Ever wonder how a tiki mug gets made? Check out how Lono Hollywood got theirs with Tiki Farm.
- Get to know your rum types… and how to drink them!
- What some high-speed video of citrus fruits spitting oil 30 feet per second because… why not?
- For those of us who might be buying their wine picked on the bottle, here are some wine’s with epic, and creative, packaging.
- Taking a break from the booze this summer? Here are a few mocktails you should really try.
- The bar industry is doing its part to become greener. Here’s how!
- Need a fun idea for a night in with your friends? How about a DIY Amaro Party?! Yes, you CAN do this.
- And finally, if you’re in London this month, you’re very lucky, as you can get an Aperol Spritz DELIVERED to you.
It’s July! We’re back with some new boozy stories for you. Enjoy!
- First, did you see our color changing drink a few weeks back? It’s real pretty.
- Heineken wants you to not drink alcohol if you’re driving. Here’s what they’re doing to prevent drunk drivers.
- Beaver flavored whiskey. You know you’d try it at least once...
- Need a new rosé to try this summer? Here’s 30 F&W approved bottles.
- Another reason to visit Poland besides the sausages… a vodka museum!
- Glitter ice cube DIY. Yup, I’m making these this weekend.
- A new golden age of Tiki? Yes please and thank you!
- And speaking of tiki, rum has come a long way here in the US. Like, real big.
- Heading to Los Angeles this summer? Here’s a list of must visit bars in my town.
- And finally, Arkansas is literally creating fireballs on their highways…with Fireball whiskey.
- First, if you’re not buying your Rosé by the keg, do you really Rosé?
- Here’s a few last minute entertaining ideas for your Memorial Day party today. (You’re going to want these shoes!)
- Oh noooooo! Someone showed up to your party with warm beer. Gross. Here’s how to chill those cans of beer in TWO minutes.
- Looking to deep dive into some useful cocktail knowledge? Try this book on for size.
- Welcome the schnapsicle. Get your booze in popsicle form this summer.
- You can have a savory spritz now. Just add pickled cucumber brine. You’re welcome.
- Some people about to Benjamin Button the heck out of Memorial Day today.
- Beer foam art… fad or rad??
- Session Cocktails mean you can drink them in quantity over the course of your party and still remember the next day!
- Personally, I’ve had some great rooftop bar experiences, but this article might make one think twice. What about you folks?
- What’s going on with the tequila shortage? People need to be a lot more mindful of the whole process.
- And finally, Bon Jovi has a Rosé. And it sells out. I’m just going to leave this right here for a bit...
If you’ve been over to the Stir and Strain Instagram page lately (and if you haven’t, what are you waiting for?!), you might have noticed a colorful trend starting to appear down the page: tiki mugs!
I’ve been a long time collector of tiki mugs but what good is having a collection if you never take them out to admire them, right? So I thought I’d get a little personal and share some favorites every Monday until I feel like I’ve shared enough.
So, if you’re a lover of tiki mugs, soon-to-be lover of tiki mugs, or just get a voyeuristic kick out of looking at other people’s stuff (all you Hoarders show fans…I’m looking at you), then click on over to our Instagram, give us a follow, and oogle along with us every Monday.
And hey! It’s not just my mugs. I’m encouraging Stir and Strain fans to show off your mugs too by including the hashtag #sstikimugmondays on your posts so everyone gets a look!
It’s the blue moon of cocktail events this week as the Kentucky Derby and Cinco de Mayo converge on Saturday.
- You’re going to need a horse piñata Saturday.
- Also, the ultimate Mint Julep (which is surprisingly simple).
- And lots of tequila. And tequila cocktails.
- But seriously, how DO bartenders remember all those drink recipes?
- I like coffee in my cocktails, and these folks are making it real easy for me.
- This kid knows how to dine and dash with a $1200 glass of whiskey (I’m not condoning it, I’m just saying he’s getting the most out of his delinquent behavior).
- What booze will pack on the pounds? I mean, do you really want to know…?
- So many new cocktail books, so little time (to drink).
- Got a bottle of Fernet Branca? Here’s a roundup of pretty drinks you can make with it.
- The weather’s getting warmer, are you ready to Tiki? Here’s a (brief) history… with drinks!
- And finally, WTF Canada?!? You can have a cocktail with a human toe garnish. *Insert vomit emoji*